Can adults be put under before going into the operating room ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 43 yo make with cerebral palsy. I fell at work June 21 and dislocated my shoulder. I also found out I have 2 full thickness tears in my rotator cuff. I will likely need surgery to repair it.

Because of my CP, I have had quite a few surgeries, but they were all when I was a child.I know they put children out now for surgeries soecifically to avoid trauma like mine. Does anyone know if it is possible to put an adult under general anesthesia before going into the OR so I can avoid freaking out ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry folks. I have a few typos in this post but I don't see where I can go back and correct them.

• Posted

When I had my shoulder surgery they gave me some meds in a cup that had me very relaxed before I even went into the OR
    • Posted

Hi Sugga82

Thank you for the reply. They told me they would do that. I am just hoping I am asleep before I get in there. I have a phobia of going into the OR because of all the surgeries I had as a child. I know it's dumb for me to be ohobic of something like that, but I am.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.