Can adults develop lazy eyes?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 21 years old and I show no sign of lazy eye. However, 13 months ago I developed an astigmatism in my left eye. Since then I have only been wearing glasses during certain situations which require a lot of visual focus (e.g. computer use, reading etc.). Am I potentially at risk of developing a lazy left eye?

Any information/advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance 😃

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Astigmatism is unequal curvature of the front surface of the eye and will not cause a lazy eye. Astigmatism is correctable with glasses.

• Posted

As I said to the other person:

I have read that reduced vision in one eye (e.g. astigmatism) may cause the brain to ignore input from the weaker eye, decreasing the ability of the eyes to work together. Astigmatism is referenced as a cause of lazy eye.

• Posted

Yes it is true that if there is a large difference in vision from one eye to the other this may happen. However it is not the same thing as astigmatism. Most people do not have the same prescription for both eyes. You have most likely always had astigmatism. Any astigmatism you have is generally there by age 3. You may not have had enough to need correction or the doctor may have compensated for astigmatism by changing the sphere(power of the lens).

• Posted

I simply woke up one day with sudden loss of clarity in the left eye. I occasionally get blurred vision in either eye but it usually goes away within a few hours. However, it's now been 13 months and I have simply been told that I have an astigmatism. Does this sound correct?

• Posted

Usually if the blurred vision comes and goes then you are looking at dry eyes, or a condition with the front surface of the eye. I would start by getting some lubricating eye drops. Make sure they are NOT redness relievers. Id use them a few times per day and use them before you read or use the computer. When we read or focus on things we tend to blink less causing our eyes to get dry as well which can cause blurriness. Many people like the Refresh brand or Systane.

• Posted

I'm not sure if astigmatism is directly associated with "lazy eye".

Astigmatism usually is related to cornea defects, which indeed can increase with age but usually these defects are there from childhood. Astigmatism is actually very common, almost every third person has it to some degree.

Lazy eye is related to eye muscles being misdirected for some reason, and that can be caused by eye development problems in childhood or by some trauma in adulthood. There might also be a chance that eye muscles become difficult to control after huge strain (lots of work at a computer etc.), but that should be temporary and not permanent.

In any case, an advice from a professional ophthalmologist might clear your doubts.

And, of course, take basic care of your eyes - relaxing exercises, fresh air, some blinking to ensure moisturizing and reduce "dry eye" symptoms.

• Posted

Many people are comfortable with kids having a slow-moving eye, and they are shocked to know that slow-moving eyesight can also create in maturity. Typical causes for the slow-moving eye in maturity consist of perspective reduction and muscular or sensors weak point. Regardless of the cause, it can almost always be set.

So, according to me you should prefer the following things:

1. Contacts and eyeglasses: Repairs the difference of near- or significantly sightedness in between your eye-sight.

2. Surgery: Realigns muscle structure in your vision.

If i sharing my personal experience so i will suggest you to contact " Florida Eyecare Associates " that providing the finest quality of Bilingual eyecare in a warm and friendly atmosphere through technology, education and innovation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.