Can all this be due to Sjögren’s?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I do have a definitive diagnosis of Sjögren’s but so many of my symptoms are presumed as just part of a virus.

I’ve been virtually bed bound lately with dizziness, internal tremors and virtigo and landed a presumed diagnosis of viral labythinthitis today. Is this just a coincidence and if others with pSS have a constant struggle with these symptoms too then why is our supposedly common autoimmune disease so low on list of priorities for doctors and medical researchers - certainly in UK? 

My neurologist dismissed my need for answers for my many worsening symptoms as “a bit of heightened health awareness”. If only! 

Numb/ rigid mask face, especially  upper teeth, nostrils, left cheek and eye

Burning lips and gums 

Dry mouth/ throat 

Salivary glands at back blocked 

Dizziness 

Orthostatic hypotension 

Hypertension

Vertigo  

Tinnitus 

Pulsatile Tinnitus 

Ear pressure/ deep pain left ear

Hearing loss

No sense of smell 

Limited sense of taste

Struggle swallowing 

Intermittent spasms in oesophagus 

Sudden faints 

Extreme fatigue 

Internal resting tremors 24/7

Muscle twitching everywhere 

Night waking, dryness in throat 

Sticky cough (7 weeks)

Sore chest/ ribs

Extra sicca (optician said stringy mucin?) 

Sores in nostrils 

Nose bleeds

Painful chapped lower lip

Poor balance 

Pins and needles in both arms (shoulders to toes - burning elbows) 

Ice cold feet

Knees and elbows feel unstable left knee with 

resting sharp pain 

Left index finger - unstable,l

Problem with standing 

Neck feels odd/ loose

Occasional fecal incontinence  

Numbness and tingle everywhere

New presumed diagnosis: 

Possible asthma

Probable viral Labyrinthitis 

Pulsatile Tinnitus 

Hearing loss

Orthostatic Hypotension after resting/ during night

Essential tremor or resting tremor

Vasovagal Syncope

Remitting: 

Joint pain/ arthritis  

Constipation and abdominal pain/ bloating - since starting Constella (Linaclotide)

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ps this virus started in early January - the internal tremors are new, dizziness and vertigo ongoing  but the small fibre neuropathy everywhere is an acknowledged old “friend”
  • Posted

I have 90% of your symptoms over a year already except for "No sense of smell ", "Left index finger - unstable" and maybe couple of more. How long have you been having these symptoms and how did they start? 

• Posted

I think for me it started when I was young but it’s hard to be sure as I’m Hypothyroid too. The sensory symptoms started about ten years ago with the early onset of menopause - sense of smell and taste started changing about 7 years ago with the onset of RA type symptoms. I think unstable index finger might be double jointed/ hypermobile - possible EDS - it’s been sore for about 18 months.

I am believed about Sjögren’s and autoimmunity by my rheum and doctors because of my very high plasma viscosity.  

But the neurologist makes me feel that the extent and the impact of the numbness is all of the mind - it’s “just” small fibre neuropathy - no big deal! which in turn makes me more scared because my worst symptoms feel so paranormal! 

• Posted

Sorry you share my symptoms Christine (but relieved to find others who understand). Do you have internal tremors and if so when did these start? Are you happy to lump it all together as Sjögren’s? If so do you, like me, feel it would be easier to get support  if it were another disease such as MS or RA? 

• Posted

Bless your heart, you must feel absolutely miserable. I understand. I think my Sjogrens was diagnosed about 8 years ago. It explained constant cavivities, when prior to about age 20, my teeth were perfect. But for my SS, I see a Rheumatologist. I am live in Texas, and he was the first to diagnose me with SS.

The list of symptoms is seemingly endless, and for me, they're on the same list as Fibromyalgia (diagnosed in 2004) which I think is in remission. I also have osteoarthritis in my hands (Related?).

Are you able to get a full blood panel beyond neurology? I had a Sjogrens flare up earlier this week. Flare ups for me are usually caused by stress or what I call "too much day." In other words, I over did myself with tasks. This meant a return to my Primary Care Physician and at this point in the disease I know what to ask for, and she knows what to give me. Well, she wasn't avaiable, so I agreed to see someone else in the clinic. A mis-diagnosis should not suprise me by now, but it still does. I'd never seen this one before. She was younger than me, that was fine (I'm 52). But, despite having a flu shot, and instant flu test right there, she told me I had the flu, and prescribed Tamiflu. Even feeling as awful as I did, I had to literally cover my mouth so as to not laugh out loud. What I needed was a Prednisone pack, and she gave me that too. I need that because thanks to Sjogrens, I have chronic bronchitis and restrictive lung disease.

Sjogrens is practically in its infancy in terms of research and study. We have only one national foundation. The Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation www.sjogrens.org is pushing for more awareness and funding for research.

But you asked about if your list could all be due to SS. Yeah, probably. We have to advocate for ourselves, and we all have different symptoms, yet the same symptoms, at any given time. I did a lot of research, because there are stupid doctors...well, uninformed doctors any way.

I take a crap load of meds too. For both Sjogrens and Fibromyalgia, and for my head too because I have PTSD. (Another story, different time & place!)

The best I can do for you is be Sjogrens sister and commiserate with how you feel. I had my first vertigo, floor-spinning episode yesterday. That wasn't pleasant. It was so weird! I couldn't keep my eyes open or catch my breath either. I've been a useless bed lump going on 36 hours now. I feel a bit better today. I saw your post and your list, so I thought I'd just reach out. If you need any book suggestions, websites, or whatever, just let me know.

Your sister in Sjogrens,

Lori??

• Posted

Hi Lori,

I am one of your new SS sisters! I live in San Francisco Bay Area, just diagnosed with SS yesterday by my family care doctor after blood tests. I am scheduled to see a Rheumatologist.

My main symptoms are lost of smell, limited taste, very dry mouth, hard time swallow food.

I am so happy to find the support group, I was initially very scared.

Linda

• Posted

Welcome Linda. I'm in Austin, lived in SF for a few months back in '74.

• Posted

Your list reminds me so much of me back in 2007/2008 when symptoms just kept mounting up one on top of the other. I just knew that such a cluster in a short space of time likely meant it was all under one umbrella...however trying to find which umbrella was the problem. I do admit that I was tested for Sjögren's back then but as I was seronegative at that time I remained in the idiopathic basket.

You certainly sound like at the very least you are having a flare. Do you think this flu/respiratory tract infection you had back in January has sparked this cascade and worsening of your symptoms?

You sound quite ill indeed and it makes me angry that SS is sometimes treated with such disdain by certain doctors. Please hang in there. I know you have so many issues and my thoughts are with you. Not being believed is one of the worst things.

• Posted

You mentioned you were seronegative, did you end up getting a salivary gland biopsy? My levels are normal but have dry mouth eyes and inflammation in my throat. I'm very sure I'm part of the 30 percent with normal Ana levels. My doc doesn't believe me. I also have celiac which makes it more probable.

• Posted

My ANA is positive but my anti Ro & La are both normal - IgG and IgA both elevated and inflammatory markers always high.

I was diagnosed by lip biopsy, which was as positive as could be but first (mis) diagnosed with RA five years earlier. 

• Posted

Hi Jeremy,

Back in the 2007/2008 I was seronegative. No-one tested me again for the intervening years until 2015 when I went to my GP and insisted I be tested for the ANA and ENA panels. 

My GP complied after me justifying why I wanted these tests done. A few days later I got a call to say she wanted to speak to me.

My ANA was 1:1280 and my anti Ro's were positive but not my anti La's.

So the answer to your question re. lip biopsy is no, I haven't had one done.

• Posted

Thanks, my ana and c reactive protein are low ...my doctor's aren't willing to push for a biopsy or even consider this disease but I have every symptom along with newly diagnosed celiac. The brain fog, dry ears and mouth and soar throat are horrible. I'm really trying to push them but even the rheumys have been dismissive

• Posted

Thanks, I'm glad my markers are normal but there are so many seronegative stories out there. At some point, I hope to get a diagnosis as my symptoms don't all seem to correlate with my celiac. My dry eyes and mouth are bad

• Posted

Hi Jeremy (my son's name also),

It's a process of elimination in some ways. Seeing that you have one autoimmune condition (Coeliac disease), as you said, it places you in the higher risk basket to have another autoimmune condition.

Are you on any meds which could explain the dry eyes and mouth other than Sjögren's Syndrome?

Have you been to an ophthalmologist and had a Schirmers test done and a tear breakup test? If these show to be abnormal this further adds to your arsenal.

Ultimately until (and if)) your ANA's etc become positive then all you can do is treat the symptoms. Ask your ophthalmologist what you need to do to prevent major corneal damage if your Shirmer's test reveal < 5mm tears (depends on your age too). Do what s/he says in terms of drops/ointments etc.

Ask your GP if s/he thinks your mouth mucosa is dry? (Obviously don't chew gum or drink just before going in to see the doc). 

For your dry mouth, chew gums, use Xyliments or whatever it takes to keep your mouth lubricated.

Then if your symptoms continue, ask for your ANA's and ENA's to be done say every two years. Don't be like me and go for eight years before asking to have them done as I do not know at what point in those eight years that I became positive. Once I was proved to be seropositive, I was more believed and then sent to a Rheumatologist.

Hope that you get some answers soon.

• Posted

...of course I meant to say you could push to have a lip biopsy done in the meantime.

There are a number of posts regarding the topic of lip biopsies on this board.

• Posted

I'm not on any meds, I'm going to see another rheumy next week and ask about the tear test. My vision is blurry far and near. One if my first symptoms was tingling in mouth and cheeks with sinus problems , followed by neuropathy. It's kind of difficult in the docs say if I had this particular disease , it would show up by now considering all of my conditions. I've been through the gauntlet, MRIs, lumbar puncture, two emgs, muscle biopsy, ten different RA, ana and c reactive protein tests. I've had immunization tests, motor sensory antibody panels, Lyme screen .....probably more. Only thing negative is vitamin d was low, reoccurring gastritis and antibody for gluten. No cause yet as to esophagitis and dry eyes mouth and muscle twitching mainly in the eyes.

• Posted

How long have you experiencing all these symptoms? 

I developed most of my symptoms within the first month of getting ill with Sjögrens, yet it took years to develop antibodies.

• Posted

Were you able to get your vitamin D levels up & keep them there? Do your eye muscles still twitch?

• Posted

My vitamin d has come up and stayed level at this point, yes my eyes do twitch a lot
    • Posted

I asked because I used to have an ophthalmologist who said that eye tics signified eye allergies. For me, at least, that was correct and elestat helped me out. Apparently all the allergy tablets in the US do nada for eye allergies. Don't know if this will help you, but for sure I know eye tics and twitches are medical issues.

• Posted

Jeremy - I think you should start a new thread of your own asking this.

I keep getting allerts to this tangent because it was a thread I started about Sjögren’s as a full systemic disease, rather than just eyes and mouth dryness.

I realise that yours started as neuropathy and now you are struggling hard to get a diagnosis for other stuff such as gastritis. But you will get many more answers if you post yourself I think.

I would say that you need to get a lip biopsy done if you want a definitive diagnosis. Some people aren’t represented by bloods and for some the idiopathic label hangs about until something finally shows up such as Vasculitis or other. So many conditions list dry eyes and mouth, gastritis and neuropathy as well as Sjögren’s.

I wish you luck with getting answers that make sense of your symptoms. 

• Posted

This will be my last reply as I didn't mean to hijack anything. I'm fully aware this is a full systemic disease, I've had neuropathy myopathy full digestion track inflammation with dry eyes and mouth along with confirmed celiac and now have hypogonadism. I'd say at this point, it's certainly affecting every system except major organs, I've been cleared of all neuromuscular and mctd including lupis. I'm sorry you're getting so many replies, that often happens on these threads as I get them on the ones I started as well but I just try to help in anyway I can. Good luck to you.

• Posted

My point is that your much wider problems require a new post to which you will get many more replies.

It’s not your comments that are bothering me but I posted this to highlight things other than ocular and oral dryness - and yet these Sicca comments abs questions keep popping up! 😎

• Posted

Wow! Don't know whether to say 'congratulations' or 'commiserations'. It certainly has been a journey for you Jeremy.

At least you now have proof that the many symptoms you have been experiencing has been centred in reality and not fantasy!! As if you didn't know that already! Anyway good work for persisting and getting extra diagnostic testing done.

• Posted

Thank you, I got into an argument with my doctors when they told me I didn't have it because my markers were all negative. I told them how in the world do they not know about seronegative sjogrens. They told me to let it go. So I found a dentist who does saliva DNA testing. I'm taking this to my docs tomorrow and asking them to tell me again how I should "let it go"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.