Can amitriptyline cause glaucoma ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been on various kinds of antidepressants. I would say Amitriptyline is most effective. It gives good sleep, relieves back pain, reduce nausea, relieve headache. It doesnt create tinnitus and super weight gain.

I would like to continue Amitriptyline at 10mg per night.

However, when I search Amitriptyline long term sude effects, it says glaucoma !

Thus, I want to do a little survey here if anyone taking Amitriptyline has experienced glaucoma or eye problems ?

I already have cataracts so I dont want to ave any other eyes issues because of a drug

Peter

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi Peter, I took amitriptyline for nearly 18 years, I haven't had any problems with glaucoma, we do have it in the family, my late mother suffered with it, but I did have cataracts, don't know if they were caused by the drug though.

• Posted

Yes Peter, Amitriptyline can cause Glaucoma. I was only on this drug for 3 weeks back in October 2015 and the drug triggered a rare form of glaucoma - sudden onset acute angle closure. Over a period of 36 hours it started with my right eye constantly running from the outer corner, then my eye turned red and the pain in that corner was indescribable. I had no idea what was happening but by the time I could see a GP it was an emergency situation and I was rushed by a friend to York hospital Eye Clinic where I was told they only had a 2 hour window to save my sight. I had emergency laser eye surgery after they had got the eye pressure down using drops and now I have 6 month check-ups. I have lost some peripheral vision in my right eye and formed cataracts since then but I am so very grateful to have my sight. I must never take Amitriptyline or any similar drug again. However, I must stress that this is a rare occurrence and it also has something to do with the sufferer having narrow drainage channels to start with. If you have taken it so far without any form of glaucoma being detected it is unlikely that you will suffer my problem. If you have regular eye check-ups rest easy because your IOP (eye pressure) is being monitored and your Optician would have told you if it was high. 
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, thank god you got your sight back. I had experienced cataract before, it was really depressing without ability to see. I have iol lens replacement surgery and back to normal now.

I visited my psychiatrist today . She prescribed Duloxetine for day time , Amitriptyline and clonazepam for night time. I have never taken Duloxetine before .

Have you tried this med before ?

• Posted

Wow that is quite a hard hitting mix Peter. Duloxetine (also known as Cymbalta) is a hard drug to taper off from and Clonazepam is a rather hard hitting Benzodiazepine, also difficult to come off. Side effects differ from person to person but you can become dependent on all three drugs. Are you able to research these yourself using Google search? Perhaps you could speak again with your Psychiatrist and ask her for more information and why she chose this particular mix before taking them. With more knowledge you will find it easier to make a choice for yourself. I'm pleased you have had lens replacement surgery, I still await this when my cataracts are ripe enough. Sight is so very precious.

?I hope you can gain the knowledge necessary for you to make a decision about Dulozetine and Clonazepam - I do know that there are support groups on Fb where members are trying to get off these drugs and experiencing difficulties with withdrawals. Hope this helps

• Posted

Elizabeth, thank you so much for your advice. I just read the cymbalta support groups in fb and saw many complaints. I saw words like mind changing and zombie like. I think I will not take this drug then. Last year, one doc prescribed lyrica to me. I became a zombie after taking it for 5 days. I stopped it immediately but I felt my brain was damaged.

For clonazepam, I have taken it for one year. It works pretty well. No dependency issue.

Amitriptyline works perfect on me but I dont know why doc still prescribed cymbalta and tell me to wineoff from Amitriptyline. I have no idea. I shall ask her next week

Many thanks for your message. I will not trust doc 100% . I really appreciate you let me know. So far I have only taken one tablet cymbalta. I will stop tomorrow.

Peter

• Posted

Happy I could help you Peter. It could be if you have been on Amitriptyline a longish time they feel you should stop - yet if it still works for you without side effects I cannot imagine why they would insist on this. Had Amitrip not caused me Glaucoma problems I would have continued to take it but personally would 'never' take Cymbalta. I am glad you have been able to look into this for yourself and make your own decision. We have to trust our Consultants to some degree, but you mention you were put on Lyrica and because of bad side effects stopped after 5 days. I cannot tell you how relieved I am that you stopped it - I am still on it and it is taking me for ever to slowly and carefully drop 2/3 mgs at a time the withdrawals are so bad. Yes, it also affected my brain chemistry and I have lived in a brain fog, poor memory, balance issues, eye disturbances (not good when we already have Glaucoma) and more for the last 2 years. Also, Gabapenten (UK name) is the younger sister of Lyrica, sameish drug but not as strong so if you are offered that make sure you do your research first. 

?I do hope that you and your Consultant can find the very best mix of treatments for you in the long term and that you benefit from a two way conversation with her, not just one way!

Kindest regards

Lizzie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.