Can amitriptyline cause suicidal thoughts when used only for pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Iv been diagnosed with crohns disease for a couple of years now and around 6 months ago I was prescribed amitriptyline by my consultant for the pain and sleepless nights

After a couple of weeks of takeing 10mg I started getting suicidal thoughts really badly so contacted my ibd nurse who in return had a word with my consultant who said I they are doing that he must come off them

However yesterday I had an appointment with him and he just had a go at me because my treatment isn't working (infliximab now on entivyo) and he said he didn't believe me that amitriptyline causes depression or suicidal thoughts

Because it is used to treat depression at a higher dose. I am adiment it was amitriptyline because as soon as I stopped taking them the thoughts went away has anyone else had or heard of this I'm going to Wright to my consultant and let him know

How much he effected me by having a go yesterday and I want to love him wrong with some evidence to go along with my letter

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Dan,

I suffer pretty badly with anxiety and depression and I was given 10mg of Amitriptyline for sleep issues (insomnia and muscle tension) after struggling for so long with constant fatigue. I was against Sertraline but thinking I need to bite the bullet and try it – that’s a different story!

I have to say the sleep has been better but it has significantly made my mood worse. I just feel tired constantly, down and groggy. Almost like I have just lost motivation on them. I haven't had the suicidal thoughts, but I have noticed more and more side effects showing. Mainly odd tingles, haze, brain fog and clumsiness which isn’t like me at all. Sometimes the tiredness is hard to overcome as well, so it’s not really solved the insomnia problem. I am sleeping great but just as worse off the next day.

I could still function albeit highly strung with anxiety so I have decided to stop taking these after only 3 weeks.  

• Posted

It does say on the leaflet that they can cause suicidal thoughts & to contact your GP asap.

• Posted

I've been taking Amitriptyline for fibro pain for the past month and I've had a few suicidal thoughts (that I've had no desire to act upon), so I definitely think it's a side effect even at low doses. I was only taking 10mg, but I found they gave me nausea, dry mouth, sleepiness / even more fatigue than I already have, so I've been cutting the tablets in half and having 5mg a night.

I tried just stopping them after two weeks but the withdrawal symptoms were awful - constantly thirsty and feeling very nauseous a lot of the time. I'm finding it a very hard drug to come off of even at low doses, but it sounds like you managed it without too many problems.

• Posted

It is an effect I would say, even at low doses. I was taking 10mg and yeah I agree, the withdrawal was horrible. I thought after 3 weeks it would be fine to just stop - wow, was that a mistake. I was ill for about 5 days before I leveled out a bit (Shakes, vomiting, dizzy, sweats) I was amazed at how much such a small dose affected me. Feel fine now a week on!
    • Posted

Yeah, I've been very surprised about how bad the withdrawal was after just two weeks of 10mg. I'm just going to try and gradually ween myself off over the next few weeks, or otherwise maybe see if 5mg a night brings less side effects.

• Posted

Hi Dan,

?I agree with Stephen - if you have the leaflet that came with Amitriptyine look for the caution on side effects where it states can cause suicidal thoughts and take it to your Doctor/Consultant (or send it highlighted with your letter). Any drug that can trick the brain's pain receptors into believing there is no pain could also affect other brain functions.

?The caution on could cause suicidal thoughts is there because a larger number of patients have reported this side effect, so much so that it cannot be ignored or swept under the carpet. I am afraid your Consultant is mis-informed!

?I hope that you can reach an amicable outcome with your health provider and wish you well.

• Posted

Dan

AMYTRYPTALENE

Taken at the low dose of 10mg should not have the Suicide as a side effect. I take the drug at 75mg at night to control my nerve damage and PsA.. I have just reducesed the dose down to 50mg because of my age, generally as we get older it can be advisable if possible to reduce most medications as we begin to get a positive effect at a lower dose.

Amytryptalene is generally thought as a dirty drug ? and there are more beneficial medications that do the same thing.

Sometimes of course we are all different so what medication works for on may have some severe effects for others.

We need to remember the positive effects Amytryptalene has when used for pain and nerve damage were in a way accidental, their main us in the past was as an antidepressent

BOB

• Posted

I was prescribed amitriptylene for nerve pain.  I began having suicidal thoughts for the first time in my life (I am over 40 y/o) if a missed a dose.  I spoke to my dr about it and she switched me to Zoloft instead.  I don't have near the side effects and the pain is now almost nonexistent.  And there have been no crazy thoughts or mood swings since my medication was switched.

• Posted

Rebecca

I am intereste in these suicial thoughts, I have never related to these feelings, any Suicial thoughts I have suffered has been associated with my associated Chronic Pain and relevent mental Depression

I have taken this medication for over ten years and in general terms have been quite stable, mentaly and I associate my depression with my opiate type medications etc

• Posted

I've been taking Amitriptyline for IBS and associated depression and anxiety. Started at 10mg then increased to 20mg at night. It helps with slowing the gut responses and pain, however on 20mg I have had increasing suicidal thoughts. Reducing the dose to 10mg and then weaning off it is the best solution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.