Can Amlodipine stop working after a couple months

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking AMLODIPINE for 3months, its never kept my BP below 155/95 and yhe side effects are not good (consultant doing tests and ask me to stay on it while doing tests as it wont effect results) in the last three says i have had mild headache, flushed face, slightly dizzy, not feeling well. ive been checking bp amd its risen highest 186/109 lowest 155/107.

MY QUESTION IS CAN AMLODIPINE SUDDENLY STOP BEING EFFECTIVE?

back ground

NOW 36 years. i've had high blood pressure since my teens, had my only child at 20years 28wks Emergency C-section after untreated pre-eclampsia been on enalapril since. suffered migraines on and off, had 3 episodes of migraine with aura. 2years ago had an episode where my hand and fingers went purple, hospitalised, blood thinners, tests didn't show anything. have had symptoms of mild raynolds since then. been taking nifedipine since, Bp better but up and down, i felt causing migraines to be more often? Went to Gp with awful migraine and Bp was 244/140 i was sent to hospital and being seen / test done by endrocryologist. came out of hospital on 5mg Amlodipine, now increased to 10mg and 4mg DOXAZOSIN. the side effects have been so awful, consultant said i must stay on them until test done. He will review tests end of MARCH

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

side effects since starting AMLODIPINE

aches and joint pain

aches in knee joints - warm to touch

shivering, shaking, feeling cold

flushed face, tingling, warm to touch

mild pressure head ache, sensitive to light

fatigue sleeping well at night but having trouble to stay awake during the day

swollen feet and hands

I feel very 'off' as tho im coming down with flu

there have been a handful of good days but most of the time its awful, i feel like an old lady, luckily my GP has been good and signed me off until i get results of tests and change medication.

Also DOXAZOSIN is causing very dry mouth (not thirsty) just very dry mouth.

• Posted

Nicky, it's the combination of all these drugs that should be of concern.

You're on an alpha blocker (dox), an ACE (ena) and two calcium channel blockers (aml and nif).

I don't like calcium channel blockers!

Are you on a diuretic? Usually it helps to take a diuretic with any or all of these.

If these drugs have not helped your high BP in the past, you should be trying other combinations.

But for me, adding the diuretic to the others I was taking helped tremendously.

• Posted

thank you Jx its just the Amlodipine 10mg and Doxazosin 4mg now

no diuretic yet, i was on Enalapril for years with no symptoms, i hope to go back to that but im told i can't until doctors do test to check tgeres no underlying cause of high BP

If i stay on amlodipine i will try adding a diuretic, thank you Jx

• Posted

Evening Nicky,After reading your status about Amplodipine, this type of tablet is a channel blocker, which helps to widen your vessels so the blood can travel through better. I use to take it and had found it had effected my legs especially my knees badly. I had talked to my Dr and had asked if he could put me on Rampril which is a lot better, ask yours about this change ok.

Good Luck ADRIAN

• Posted

thanks ADRIAN, ive just moved to enalpril with is in the same group, thank you

• Posted

Morning Nicky, I have read your recent reply to me about the Amlodipine. You should soon start feeling a lot better since your Dr has changed your blood pressure medication

Good Luck (ADRIAN)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.