Can an abscess recur after bowel resection?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. Think a few people may know me. Had bowel resection due to abscess that had formed after a nastY diverticulitis infection that put me in hospital. Had the abscess for a while before a great surgeon realised what was wrong. Had bowel resection, he said it was a mess in there with phlegmon( inflammatory mass) as well as abscess, stuck to my bladder etc. . Had iliostomy bag for 3 months while everything healed. Felt fine, coped ok, apart from dehydration and low iron. Has successful reversal in August. Seemed to be doing ok, but i felt like it was taking a long time to get back to,normal, and eventually got the urinary symptoms back i had when i had abscess. I just got on with things , and definitely felt better than before, however, now i feel exactly the same as i did when i had the abscess. Feverish, but no actual fever, pain , generally feeling really lousy. Surgeon sending me for ct scan tomorrow. Can an abscess come back? . I cant remember what he said exactly, few weeks ago when I saw him , my memory is not good.l. Ive got a vague memory of him saying maybe inflammation? has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

you sound exactly like me. i was told No. They did find more pouches further up after surgery and i do have flares where I panic but have not been as sick since surgery. I also had a phlegamon with abscess. i have been much improved since surgery NOV 2017 but i do have awful urgency and still strange bowel habits. I was told it takes about 2 years after surgery to be normal as the bowel doesnt like being touched. i wish you luck with everything. I am in Brisbane, QLD Australia

• Posted

Thanks Julie 66833. Its good to hear from someone so quickly. I am in Adelaide. I feel dreadful. As i said before, i feel exactly the same as i did before surgery. I have pain too and I've been so worried. In the middle of selling a house and moving too, I'm beside myself . Just feeling worse and worse. I'm taking pain killers its so bad. Be interesting to see what the scan tells us. How long after surgery did your symptoms come back?

• Posted

HI, my symptons came back after 3 months. i never thought stress bought it on but I now think it may as its worse when Im stressed. Take it easy and good luck with the sale

• Posted

As i said to someone else on here, my surgeon said it would be most unlikely that the diverticulitis would come back because of where he operated, but if it happened to you then there must be a possibility of that happening. They obviously don't have all the answers. Did you have bowel resection and an iliostomy bag followed by reversal, or just bowel resection? Thanks so much for replying.

• Posted

A couple of your comments resonated with me. I've had occasions where I felt feverish, achy all over, but my body temp. was normal. I take one Tylenol 500, and the discomfort goes away. Insofar as the abdominal inflammation that I had, I began taking Tumeric twice daily. I no longer have the inflammation, but I don't know if the Tumeric helped it or not. I still take it, along with a strong probiotic. CT scan will definitely show if there's an abscess. Has anyone experienced rapid or irregular heart rate along with their DD condition?

• Posted

?Paracetamol does nothing at all for me. Or anything else. Have you had surgery, or an abscess? Thank you for responding. I also get terrible back pain . Nothing works for it.

• Posted

If your colon has more pouches ,it will be a sure thing ,that you will get more abscesses .I had an abscess and did NOT want any more ,so I make sure my bowels are in good working order ,on a daily basis .so that NOTHING is left hanging around in there to start trouble. Not had one flare or problem since I started this regime

• Posted

Surgeon said after all my surgeries that it was most unlikely i would have any more diverticulitis symptoms because of where he operated. He's an expert in his field, so now I'm worried. I am getting irritative bladder symptoms just like when i had the abscess. I have health anxiety so now I'm thinking all sorts. Is it something sinister in my bladder and awful thoughts like that. I did ask him about fistulas, as i know they can happen after inflammatory bowel problems. I can deal with that if thats what it is. I just want to be reassured it's nothing nasty. My bowel function seems fine, but i have cramps, which i used to get with the diver. I have a good diet, but then i always did. Had scan today so unless i hear before, i see surgeon on 15 th this month. Thanks for replying. Its so good to share.

• Posted

Hi .I know it's no good telling you not to get stressed ,and worried ,It's par for the course .(Me too by the way ) I'm afraid that I have little faith in ,surgeons .who make mistakes ,and won't admit to them. and most consultants ,who see us as the next one on their list. Maybe you have I.B S ,which is causing cramps. bowel ,not bladder. Have you done the simple urine test ,maybe you have a simple urine infection ,which can cause pain. Make the person who you are seeing ,show you the Scan, and show you the problem, if there is one,These polyps in your colon will call again ,unless you have NO colon for them to dig into.

I'm with you ,xx

• Posted

Thank you. I really appreciate that. Its good to have support when your worried and someone has gone through same thing. There's no uti for sure. I've had a test. I'm post menopause and do have issues with something called vaginal atrophy it causes urinary symptoms from lack of estrogen. . Its possibly that as well as bowel. You are right about doctors etc. It was a gastroenterologist that kept telling me i had ibs when i actually had diverticulitis. The surgeon was good. He fixed what he could, but you are right, they certainly make mistakes and i guess can only do so much. He said it was a mess in there because i had the abscess for 5 months, and the gastro guy just wasn't listening. Thanks so much for your responses. Its a real comfort.

• Posted

Hi, glad I was able to help .I had a hummer of an abscess, Drips galore ,the surgeon was hanging around ready to take me to theatre ,Happily the inflammation was stopped from spreading, and the surgeon said "We've cooked it "!!Apparently I have a shed load of pouches ,that could erupt at any time. so .I started taking probiotic capsules four years ago ,and ,,no problems . happy bugs ,keep chugging along. I have found over the years ,that self help works wonders, I read up on my problems ,and take vitamins and minerals .instead of prescription drugs ,which did in fact ,caused me more nasties, and side effects , I do get down now and then ,but a drive into Derbyshire bucks me up Come back if you need to talk ..

Jacqueline

• Posted

Hi .I take Acidophilus with pectin two capsules daily ,one with brekky and one dinner H&B is where I buy them

• Posted

Hi again . Had my scan Tuesday, do you think the surgeon would ring if he thought something was amiss?, I've always found him to be very professional. Anyway, i meant to say, since i had my reversal, ive been eating things i couldn't before. Seeds, nuts etc. I thought the problem was removed so i thought it was ok. I'm thinking now i shouldn't have. What do you think? I'm feeling anxious and just needing some advice. You've been so helpful. Thanks for any response.

• Posted

Morning ,coffee time. The usual run of these things is ,they keep you in,,, or if there is no problem ,the results will be sent to your doc Sounds as though your results must be good, or you wouldn't be gabbing to me. .I had a CT scan on my neck yesterday that has been a tad worrying ,just under my left ear and down my neck .i insisted the radiologist felt it before she started ,so she knew where it was, I hate that slippy stuff they use .Off she went ,doing both sides, seemed to take for ever ,,then she said "nothing there" it's just a gland .She let me have a look at it ,I said "it's huge " she said "it's magnified " So ,after removing all the gunk, I gave her a hug and left the building feeling another layer of stress disappear .As you left the building ,you must be in the same boat .Confirmation of this is ,there was a woman sitting in front of me who had obviously had her scan ,who they would not let go ,until the doctor had checked it out more thoroughly ,before deciding what to do with her. You and I left. Food is not the cause of flares ,FACT , I eat walnuts and cashews ,I just chew them well. There isn't anything I don't eat ,except beef ,because I don't like it ,and .it does take a long time to be digested .I'm a fish scoffer ..with some chicken . and lots of veg and fruit ,Just eat slowly ,,,which we all should do ,,and keep the conveyor belt of refuse moving out of the back door .DON'T WORRY . Come back to me ,,Promise ????

Jacqueline xx

• Posted

I sure will come back. You are a bit of a lifesaver for me at the moment. Its great to talk to someone that has some understanding of this stuff. My hubby and family are great but it's not the same, and everyone is so busy! I went to an x ray facility separate to the hospital, but as you said , if there's a problem, i think they would "red flag " it to the surgeon. I was told they dont think its food that causes diverticulitis, so thats reassuring. You read conflicting things though lol. I actually wonder if there is damage to my bladder/ urinary system because of the surgery. Hopefully he might have some sort of answers ( not bad ones hopefully) when i see him. Full disclosure here, we had a child who died back in 1990 of leukaemia so I'm terrified of the "c" word. Hence the health anxiety.. I hope you enjoyed your coffee. Thanks so much for your rapid responses, i really appreciate it.

• Posted

Hello again ,just for the record .I am always here in the mornings , Cheery news for you now ,I have a rare tumour in my stomach ,had it for about 7 years ,,knowingly ,,might have been there longer When it was found ,a surgeon was there with his diary, and his knife and fork ,I said NO leave it ,Then the cancer clinic wanted to put me on dread full drugs .again I said NO,and suggested that they just kept an eye on it .Which they do. I am held up with some pride at the hospital ,and used as an example, for doing nothing ,but guard it myself ,with nothing more than care. He is called my Squatter, I have CT scan every year now ,it used to be every six months ,as he never moves . I'm always willing to shift your stress and talk about stuff. It does help . My car is going for a bit of T.L.C this morning ,so it's on with the slap ,again.!!

Speak soon xx

• Posted

Thank you for sharing that. It just shows we all have a story. Good on you for taking control of your body. Sometimes these things are best left alone. And you just take care of your health and it stays dormant. You are a brave person. Warrior woman! Lol. Thanks for the offer of a destress chat. I am very grateful. Speak soon, and thanks again.

• Posted

Hello ...how odd,,,, I used to have a horse called Warrior..You have perked up ,,Good.

Verbal medicine always works. xx

• Posted

Hi jacqueline. Sorry it's been so long. Scan was fine, could have been the stress of the move making me feel bad, I'm not so sure. The bladder pain after i use my bowel, well no one knows. I think there's nerve damage, he agreed there could be. Sometimes its there, sometimes its not, but when bowel more active, bladder worse, and it makes me feel crappy. I just think they don't know. They do the surgery, and your left with the aftermath. I understand i had to have it, the abscess was huge and stuck to my bladder, which i think damaged it. I wish it had all not happened. How are you?

• Posted

Morning Rhiannon,, you've just missed the coffee.. One thing less to worry about with a clear scan. I had an exploding abscess, in/on my colon, which was killed by mega drugs , Then whist having my annual scan on another bit of my bod, an abscess was spotted ,an the info was passed to the colon surgeon, who wanted to see me ,like now,,, I was pegging some washing out at the time, SO, put the slap on and went ..had the process of bloods and other bits ,and measured for stockings, I did ask WHY,, just in case ,I was told . The surgeon came at that point ,and took me into a broom cupboard,, very cos ,to tel me that I had an abscess on my colon ,but it had healed itself ..all without me knowing .So I said to him,,, See, vitamins and minerals do work .....I was duly sent home .Nothing since.

Tomorrow I see the Dermatologist , with these skin problems ,that no one can cure,

probably stress related ,,being having more than my fair share this past year. Next week ,see the Tinnitus person ,,something else that can't be cured,, then the next meeting is with the surgeon who operated on my shoulder, and a physio damaged me with an exercise that was meant for a body builder,and I have been in terrible pain, for 7 weeks now .Yes ,I did try to be seen sooner ,but ,the system now is, you have to be put through a lot of hoops by outside outside companies ,who decide where you should go , Apart from that little lot ,with NO more appts I will try to go away for some sea breezes ,I do miss not living by the sea ,

Are you feeling more relaxed now ??? I have started doing deep breathing exercises

anywhere and everywhere ,,,calms me down,, and gets more oxygen into the old bod, Time for breakfast now ,write soon xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.