Can an acoustic neuroma be seen in a ct scan?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma on December 13. The tumour is 25 mm. I know the best way to find an acoustic neuroma is with an mri. I had a CT scan of my head in June and nothing unusual was found. Can an acoustic neuroma be seem with a ct scan? Especially when it is considered large?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aemm,

I have not got an acoustic neuroma, but have been checked for one because I have unilateral deafness. They are known to be hard to detect - MRI being the best way to diagnose - and they can be so small they are missed on MRI even. Did they do an MRI with contrast to find your acoustic neuroma in the end? Or did someone review the CT and discover it? I know of a couple of people who have acoustic neuroma - one who had the tumour removed and one who is on the watch and wait scheme. what you have is very rare and usually slow growing - they will not usually remove unless it is in an area where it is of concern. My friend who is living with his acoustic neuroma has had balance rehabilitation as he was experiencing a lot of dizziness - and is doing a lot better. I am not sure what size his tumour is- but he has been diagnosed at least 6 years now. I hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Hi Aemm, It is all to do with how dense the actual Tumour is rather than the size. An MRI is much better when you are dealing with softer tissue where as a CT (although quicker) is an Xray suited for denser material, like bone. So it sounds like your tumour could have just not shown up or the tumour has appeared in between scans. Regardless, it's good that treatment is on its way you will soon be on the mend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.