Can an ultrasound show an accessory pathway, if it's there?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I was wondering if that pathway can be shown on an ultrasound? I'm so anxious about my SVT that I'm thinking about it 24/7, and I was reading about it now and this question popped up in my head. Didn't found an answer on Google. I had been to a cardiologist and done an ultrasound, said my heart is healthy, but that was at home and there the docs are not that good (took a few years to find a real good doc who told me that the diagnosis is SVT). Now I'm abroad and hope here I will get proper treatment and/or ablation, if needed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Dominika, my Electrophysiologist told me the only way to tell what type of SVT you have is by doing an electrophysiology study which requires a catheter so they found out I had accessory pathway when I went in to get my ablation. The cardiologist made his best guess when looking at my ekg but said he couldn't be sure without being in the heart. I hope that helps.

• Posted

Having just had ablation i can confirm that only an EP study done via catheters can map the electrical pathways in the heart showing them where the faulty pathway is.

An echocardiagram which you had shows the hearts structure and pumping action so having a clear echo is good.

I totally understand your anxiety with your svt.

• Posted

No it can't be shown on ultrasound.

The type of SVT I have was diagnosed by my cardiologist by reviewing a number of my ECGs.

I have declined an ablation for now, too many unsuccessful outcomes. I've managed it for 30+ years and I will continue to do so.

Don't ruin your life worrying about a harmless condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.