Can an unorthodox rabies vaccine protocol - looking for answers.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can an unorthodox rabies vaccine protocol, from late 2013, create an immunity problem now that I’ve been exposed again after I’ve gotten booster shots.

They gave me the immune globulin in the same arm as the vaccine - a mistake. The other days, they switched vaccine brands Imovax to Rabavert. I had 5 shots. I’ve now had another encounter. I had one booster & another in 3 days. Because of previous mistake am I at risk of not having proper immunity?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The risk would be very very minor. Any chance of having a tither-test to be sure?
  • Posted

The current prevention schedule only recommends 3 doses with a booster at 10 years. I suspect that your schedule reflected actual exposure and with this number it would be very unlikely for you not to have an antibody response, even with the mistake in one of them. They get near 100% effectiveness after 2 doses, the switch in product shouldn't be important. Your more at risk due to over stimulation of the immune system but you would generally be aware of this as the common ones occur quickly. You could ask your Dr to check your antibody response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.