Can anchors pop out post shoulder surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 3 weeks post-op from shoulder surgery. 3 anchors were used to repair my labrum and one anchor was used to repair my bicep. It has been difficult managing the pain as I was injured in October at work and the system caused me to wait until June for surgery. Anyways, I woke up this morning at 3am and upon getting out of bed, there was a loud pop in my shoulder and instant shooting pain thru my entire arm. I can no longer even lift my arm without severe pain. Is it possible an anchor has come loose?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

oh no. This is serious. Call your dr. promptly. The anchors don't pop they are screwed into the bone, but the sutures used to attach tendons to bone, etc can pop off the anchor. If you heard it you know it. This requires surgical intervention. I had this happen. Call you dr. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I ended up having an ultrasound at a different hospital as I traveled a long distance for my surgery. They could not tell me if the anchors came loose but there was a lot of internal bleeding and swelling. My surgeon and ER Dr both believe that scar tissue broke off bcuz I heard a "pop". I am now 9 weeks post-op, in extreme pain constantly, and am so tired of just being given pain meds to quiet the problem. I see my Dr Monday and have an MRI that day as well.

• Edited

do not keep trying to lift your arm. the bicep tendon sutures have separated, ruptured off the anchor. the excessive pain is the healing tendon pulling off the bone. excruciating pain as it tears apart. I had this happen 15 weeks into my rehab and recovery. I howled in pain and sobbed. call your dr. this requires surgical repair. use ice to knock back the pain. freeze water in paper cups, soda in the can or bottle, water in bottles, use frozen veggies, ice packs, etc to ice your shoulder, pack ice around the shoulder throughout the day. good luck!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm now 9 weeks post-op and not much has been done. I have went to a local ER twice as I traveled for the surgery. They can't see exactly how the anchors were placed in surgery but they believe the pain and popping is scar tissue breaking off. I had a lot of internal bleeding and swelling. I have tried to stay positive but I'm a 33 year old who has no use of my left arm. I had right shoulder surgery in 2018 and that healed fine. I get an MRI on Monday as well as seeing my surgeon. I hope to get answers. I am sick of pain meds masking the problem. This was a workers comp surgery. My Dr did tell me that bicep tears need fixed within 6 weeks for healing. I had to wait almost 29 weeks for approval which leads me to being lucky to get 80% function back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.