Can antibiotics interfere with Citalopram?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just read a post on here about how someone was on antibiotics, and their anxiety got worse due to it messing up the Citalopram's effectiveness. Has anyone else had this happen to them? After reading that post, it dawned on me that I had taken a 10 day course of antibiotics for an infected tooth right around the time my anxiety got bad again. It never occurred to me that there could possibly be a connection.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think.it might have been.my post you read x Its not all antibiotics the penicillan ones are ok i think also it turned out i didnt need the anti biotics either so that probably caused more issues x
  • Posted

Wow, I didn't know that about the dental numbing either!

?Since my anxiety got bad a little over a month ago (I'd been on 40 mg of Citalopram for 5 years with no issues), I've had:

?10 day course of antibiotics. I don't remember what type. Full disclosure: I was bad, and instead of going into the doc for a prescription, used my daughter's antibiotics that she had never had to use. Dumb idea, I now realize.

?4 dental procedures, 3 of which involved dental numbing.

?I started taking Melatonin to help me sleep when the anxiety got bad again. I was taking 5 mg a night. I did some research last night, and discovered that possible side effects of Melatonin are stomach upset, depression, irritability, and anxiety. Besides that I started off at too large a dose. I've decided to quit taking the Melatonin;-).

?10 days worth of a beta blocker, which I was described when my anxiety was really bad 5 weeks ago, and my heart rate was fast and irregular. It seemed to make my insomnia worse, so I weaned off those with the okay from my doctor.

?I guess I better give the Citalopram a few more weeks before switching to the Lexapro, to find out if the anxiety is from the other meds interfering with the Citalopram, or if it has indeed quit working for me.

• Posted

I bet it's the other meds... I too had my share of the melatonin..the headaches the melatonin gave me was horrible..all though I never had headaches from melatonin in the pass..with the celexa was horrible..the epinephrine in the dental injections interferes with the celexa..they are other options with none epinephrine numbing injections. All though you should always tell your doctors you are taking ssri .they will usually say oh is ok.. UNTIL is too late and your feeling weird when you get home...happen to me..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.