Can anxiety cause thick saliva and phlegm in your throat?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I seem to constantly have thick saliva and phlegm in my throat, drinking water doesn't seem to help at all, I know that dairy products cause it but I haven't had any dairy products, I have excess phlegm in my throat and it's getting on my nerves almost feels like I'm going to choke

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have the same and burning acid reflux whuch us with me all the time... Am seriously thinking of going back on anxiety medication like citalopram but really wary of such a move. VAL

• Posted

I am 27 years old and have severe incident induced anxiety. Before the incident 2 years ago, i was extremely healthy, from doing fitness races and working out 6 times a week to now being barely able to function without overthinking every little feeling, pain, or driving down the same road that i have to take to work everyday and having anxiety set in. Anxiety is completely real. i can get episodes where i get such thick mucus build up and think i cant breath and panic so much to where my limbs go numb and face tingles and every day normal pains you get all over your body will be multiplied infinitely when i get any sort of pain on my left side of my chest and instantly think I am dying. From being healthy as an ox to now being 27 taking medication for anxiety, high blood pressure, and always getting sinus infections from overreacting and damaging the lining of my nose. I have never tried therapy but for a fact just relaxing and talking about it as well as having someone telling you that you are being ridiculous helps me and also getting angry at myself for being this way.

• Posted

I am 27 years old and have severe incident induced anxiety. Before the incident 2 years ago, i was extremely healthy, from doing fitness races and working out 6 times a week to now being barely able to function without overthinking every little feeling, pain, or driving down the same road that i have to take to work everyday and having anxiety set in. Anxiety is completely real. i can get episodes where i get such thick mucus build up and think i cant breath and panic so much to where my limbs go numb and face tingles and every day normal pains you get all over your body will be multiplied infinitely when i get any sort of pain on my left side of my chest and instantly think I am dying. From being healthy as an ox to now being 27 taking medication for anxiety, high blood pressure, and always getting sinus infections from overreacting and damaging the lining of my nose. I have never tried therapy but for a fact just relaxing and talking about it as well as having someone telling you that you are being ridiculous helps me and also getting angry at myself for being this way.

• Posted

im gonna try that i get the same problem & it gets embarrasing if in a crowded place & annoying at the same time cause i cant always control or make it stop i get all sweating too during the process which makes me more mad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.