Can anxiety cause this?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

During March and the beginning of April, I was dealing with some intense anxiety, but it seemed to go away in the middle of April. Anyways, now that it's gone, I'm dealing with a lot of muscle tension, pain, and spasms in my legs, back, and neck. I think I am TMJ just because I have headaches in my temples and forehead, my jaw clicks when I open it and my ears hurt bad. I don't know if this could connect with the muscle pain, but I need help! I don't know what to think.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Anxiety can cause a lot of tension to build up inside of you. You are tense without even realizing it. I have had nexk/jaw issues x
    • Posted

Okay....I'm sorry you experience that too..I just get so freaked out because I have horrible health anxiety. It makes me feel like I have some type of muscle illness or cancer.
    • Posted

That is so unlikely. Health anxiety does this to us all, it can make things seem 100x worse than they are. If u want to PM me you can. I am 17 and have had health anxiety for 3 years. It is torturing me and taking my life.
  • Posted

I had loads of pain when I was recovering from my breakdown. You have had so much tension in your body for so long it's like you've run 100 marathons. Try not to be worried about it or you will head back into anxiety and start the cycle again!!

If you're genuinely concerned see your doc. If they say you're ok believe them and be patient with your body. The more relaxed you can be about it the quicker you will heal. It could be a month but that's ok. Be patient and accept it.

I had pain everywhere, chest, tummy and arms the worst, and head neck and jaw - think that was from clenching jaw / grinding teeth at night. It feels so bad you can't believe it's just physical recovery from you mental illness but it really is.

Good luck to you xx

• Posted

Yeah, I try to take my mind off of it, but then I end up thinking about it more, but I know that I'm going to have to train my mind to get off of it. Something that scares me a lot is pain in my armpit at times. I don't know what that would be. Thank you for responding. That makes me feel a little better.
    • Posted

Takes some practice but it's worth it. Meditation on YouTube is good to quiet those voices in your head!! I know it's easier said than done as i still struggle with health anxiety every day but you have to just keep trying. Listen to the voices that tell you you are being silly rather than the ones that are making you panic.

pain in armpit area is also a common one for muscle pain, however, also just if you are run down or have a cold. Again, if you are worried see your doc and let them check you out. Be quite normal for you to be run down with what you are going thro.

have you tried cognitive behaviour therapy? Your GPs can refer you. Helped me look at things more calmly.

im sorry you're struggling so much. Do you have people around you to talk to?

eat well, plenty of rest and exercise xx

• Posted

Okay, that's good advice. I don't if it will help or not, but I've been thinking about getting an aromatherapy diffuser. Anything that will help, I'm willing to try. I didn't know that armpit pain was a symptom of muscle pain. I've only saw that it is a sign of infection, which freaks me out. 

I haven't tried it, but I would be willing to. I've talked to my family about it, but they see anxiety as something that you can control, which you can to a point, but I just don't think they understand. Thanks for your help. I just have to think of it as a recovery process, and I really think that will help. 

• Posted

Hi reading you post is just like me every day intense body pain from the anxiety I've carried for years now !! I know how hard it is to try and convince the brain it's all part of what we go threw when the pain never really goes away ,,, when my minds occupied I'm sound but then I notice it again and panic more when I'm in my own it's like a switch that just flicks on in my head to feel like a bag of crap ... Then google symptoms then make myself even more worse X I hope we all find the happy medium at some point in our life's .. X
    • Posted

Isn't it so debilitating?! One minute you think you're okay, and then the next, you are completely freaking out! That's one thing I hate about it. It comes back when you least expect it and it just seems to take control. I hope that it gets better for you. I'm sure that we will all eventually get to a happier point in our life. Recovery has to come at some point, I think. 
  • Posted

Yes, I get it almost everyday. It started out as my TMJ from me clenching my jaws. Now I get it down my neck and it moves in different spots all over my head. My ears hurt also sometimes.
    • Posted

Ugh. Why does it have this effect? My scalp gets really sensative when that happens. I hate it. I hope that you find recovery. 
    • Posted

The top of my head burns sometimes. It's just from the muscles tightening up from the anxiety. It's not fun.
    • Posted

I hate that you feel that way too, but it's nice to know that someone else experiences it too. Anxiety can make you feel so alone, and it's nice to talk to someone who gets it. 
    • Posted

That's y I joined this site I've felt so alone with all my stuff for years it's horrible if I didn't have my girls I don't know how I would have managed to function !! Ye I also have hot patches all over my body my legs feel so achy at times my bk is horrible my doctor just looks at me now even said to me what do I expect him to do
    • Posted

Yeah, it's hard for people to understand when they've never been through it before. Doctors aren't always sensitive to problems. They don't usually understand either. It's frustrating. 
    • Posted

I've given up going now !! Lol suffered that long I'll find a away ... Trying all new things .. Home remedies etc seems to have boosted my mood massively altho the anxiety is still there
    • Posted

I've been into the alternative medication for a while just learning how to make things at the min I'm making garlic honey and cinnamon drink for the body ... Cuz let's face it even when we get sleep we never fully rest ... I've been taking bee pollen and they have been fantastic for me I'm just trying to find a good balance with food and other ways of treating myself !!
    • Posted

Hmm...I'll have to try that out. I need to watch my diet better. More natural foods would be much better than the unhealthy food I sometimes eat. 
    • Posted

I eat unhealthy myself at times I guess we all need it with wrk time etc !! I read a link about a study a doctor did with reguards to anxiety and our diet it was quiet a interesting read to be honest ... They say our stomach is the second brain so I'm guessing there may be some truth in it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.