Can Anxiety Cause Weird Bowel Movements?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone,

So I first started experience anxiety last Wednesday and have been to the ER twice to get the symptoms checked out. (I'm a 21 year old guy) First for chest discomfort then the second time for weakness, loss of appetite and head discomfort/ache. Been learning to deal with it better and bettwr everyday but as everyone has told me it's not a one day thing to get over it unfortunately. I've been noticing that when I go to use the washroom (I know this might be gross to some to hear) it feels as if diarrhea but extremely little amounts come out. It's been lack that for the past couple of days. Has me worried that everything isn't coming out like it should be. Could this be from the anxiety? Is it maybe because I haven't been eating as normal too so there's not much to producw anyways?

Please help if you can, I know it's a tuff subject for some, but I'd really appreciate it. Thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety can definitely wreck havoc on your digestive tract. Some people have to go too much, and others not enough. Keep up with with your fluid intake, and keep track of your bowel habits. If the problem continues for longer than you're okay with, then make an appointment to see the doctor, just don't wait too long, though.

• Posted

Yes. Anxiety can disrupt your bowels and entire digestive system. Of course it can. Its a very high level of stress. You whole body is effected. 
  • Posted

To rule out if its related to your sugar level go get some nutritional shakes. They are sold everywhere. Ensure , boost all different names. They also have lots of nutritional value. Review yiur meds with your doctor and make sure all levels are fine and no interactions. Make sure its ok to use the calm stuff with the medicines you take herbs do interact with meds sometimes, 
    • Posted

Oih wring post wring place so sorry.
  • Posted

They say there is aa brain gut connection.  I have abnormal movements also.  I would guess this all due to anxiety. I am not a med person but definitely an experienced person with anxiety unfortunayely
  • Posted

Thanks everyone who has replied so far. Makes me feel better knowing that I'm not alome with this one. Still extremely new to anxiety and learning how to deal with it better everyday.

• Posted

Hi. I think perhaps you should add fiber to your diet. Try oatmeal . the more fiber the bigger the stools
    • Posted

Great idea! Going to definitely start doing that in the morning. Thank you!
    • Posted

Takes time . some people on high fiber diets have three big bowel move ments a day. All that food has to go somewhere
  • Posted

YES my love when I get particularly stressed or anxious thats one of the places it goes for first stress will also affect your diet I either go through stages where I don't eat or the opposite to where I over- eat so my poor stomach doesn't know where it is hope this helps

• Posted

This definitely helps to hear that. Anxiety is no joke as I'm learning! It just hit me really hard because at 21 and healthy I never thought I would become someone anxiety. But having great people like your self to share my thoughts and concerns with helps greatly. I really appreciate it, thank you.

• Posted

There is actually more seritonin in the gut than in the brain so yes the problrms with bowel and digestion can be caused by stress. This can definately be caused by your stress levels anxiety can cause havoc in the body. Good luck and hugs to you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.