Can anxiety cause you to have symptoms that aren't there?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a history of anxiety and depression, but about two weeks ago I had back and neck pain and some pain in my head and felt a bit giddy. My doctor told me this was muscular and down to the way I sit at work and the position I sleep in. 

Before I saw the doctor, the situation made me constantly cry, seek reassurance from my mum, I couldn't concentrate, I couldn't eat and I always felt sick. I googled the symptoms of a brain tumour (I know I shouldn't have!) and somehow I convinced myself that's what I've got. 

A day after seeing the doctor I started to feel weakness down my left leg and my arm. 

I was an emotional wreck and still am. I saw the doctor again as soon as I could and she believes the symptoms are stemming from my anxiety and she's started me on citalopram, which I am pleased about. 

I am trying to calm myself down and tell myself the symptoms aren't there but I just wanted to know if anyone else has developed symptoms that aren't really there from anxiety? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes. And so have everyone else on this forum. Read through some of the posts.
  • Posted

I do. Mine are chest pain related.. Hard telling if they're real or not. Anxiety has a way of making symptoms up once you're over your old ones.. For instance I had a monitor and an echo a few weeks back. The minute they said everything was fine, I had daily chest pains.. Almost like the anxiety is making sure I still believe in it.. Last night I started with another weird heart pain so.. We will see. Annoying most of all.. When they begin, tell yourself to stop it and it's not real.. Don't think about it, just ignore it. It'll go away once your body relizes there's nothing to be afraid of

• Posted

Dear Georgina,

I have exactly the same symptoms that you do. I have anxiety disorder for about 2 months now, with several panic attacks. Im so so afraid of all diseases, and I always have different symtpoms in my body. Now I have a back pain which I feel in my whole arm, but not strong pain... And I feel my left leg very weak I'm always afraid that I can't move it, or something. I googled these things and found Multiple Sclerosis, which is a thing I'm terribly afraid of.....

I started citalopram a week ago, because I couldn't fight any longer with these moods, and deep bad thoughts... But I'm not calm, because I'm afraid that I have a neurological disease...........

• Posted

One of the main problms with posture is it can put pressure on the disks in your neck this will give headaches and will cause pain. You will also suffer pain transmitting down one side. This can be caused by posture, the neck is the weakest parts of the spine

Sometimes when we are in a car and the car is in an accident the sudden movement can cause problems with the discs or nerves that go down the centre of the spine.at the back of the neck, this can transmit pain down through the spine. Eventually, Hopefully the spine and nerves and discs will recover

BOB

• Posted

Anxiety..severe anxiety can and does whatever it wants and creates all kinds of awful feelings. Its mind body so the feelings are real by the way. But once you calm it all down they go away with the anxiety. It doesnt happen overnight its a slow kind if thing. Read thru the forum. Youll see so many similiarities in symptoms. This disorder comes with no easy button and no easy fix. If you ever should find ine pm me id love to know. It sucks for everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.