Can anxiety damage the heart

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive had anxiety and panic attacks for a long time and the main physical symptom i get during the attack is a pounding racing heart, ive been sent to the hospital because my heart rate was too high had a blood test done was normal, ecg and holter monitor which didnt show anything significant. Im worried now ive done damage to my heart sad

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Its like a really good cardio workout. Your heart doesnt have a brain to understand any of this. Its get the adrenaline rush and reacts. Like a machine. Focus on healing now. Follow what the doctors tell you. Dont go off tangent looking for a new worry.
  • Posted

No anxiety only feels dangerous, but it's not. No harm is possible. An athlete while training willhave a hear which pounds much more than a regular persons ever will

• Posted

LisaLisa and McGee make good sense that a panic attack is not going to cause you a heart attack. No need for unnecessary worry. For all of us though, unfortunately, new studies have shown that people who suffer from years of ongoing anxiety have a higher rate of cardiac issues The good news is this long term risk can be mitigated by regular exercise and not smoking.  Physicians are being advised to address with patients their emotional health as well as physical health as part of evaluations and treatment considerations. I'm glad that perhaps and finally there is hope that emotional health will be less ignored and brushed over. 

• Posted

I can imagine the evaluation on the emotional end. (Use humor here) doc: so how are you doing on the emotional end  patient: stressed like everyone else, but i have been having these odd anxiety attacks feels awful   Doc: yea life is stressful be sure to eat right and excersises...next...lol 
    • Posted

Good chuckle, thanks. It's unfortunate that because of time pressures patients are viewed in terms of lab results and meds. Insurance companies focus on $ and set the health care focus through $ controll of services. Recent saving grace is that ins companies are recognizing studies that show prevention and impact of emotional health on physical health. New physicians are taught the value of looking at the whole person and take more of an interdisciplinary approach to their treatment plan. Med schools are teaching motivational interviewing resulting in connections to licensed mental health professionals and other therapists. This change is slow but a t

hopefully more prevalent in the years to come.

• Posted

it is unlikely you have damaged the heart unless the ecg comes up with a reading indicating a problem. So anxiety can cause phantom pain and must be disregarded firstly if you did have a heart problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.