Can anxiety give you TMJ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I just experienced this 3 days ago where my jaw feels very locked and I could feel it sometimes crackle when I stretch my mouth open wide, I'm really scared on that I might break my jaw one day, I went to see my doctor about this problem today and he told me it's mostly stress and anxiety causing my muscles to become tense as of late and he recommended me to try some jaw excercises at home for about two to three weeks and see if I feel any improvement. Does anyone else suffer with TMJ from anxiety or stress as well, is it also a common symptom of anxiety? And does anyone know some good jaw excercises on YouTube, I should check out for some relief? I'm still worried about breaking my jaw.. but my doctor told me I shouldn't worry.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i have anxiety and have been told i have tmj i got refferd to physio and its helped lots it came when i had lots going on in my life and i still have it but it definatly does get better over time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.