Can anxiety lead to depression?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'll try not to ramble on but I need some advice so Im just going to explain what I can, if you dont know ive had anxiety for a while now and Im 19 years old and i feel i'm becoming depressed, things like death terrify me to the point I feel sick. I found out this woman near me committed sucuide in a hotel room literally 5 minutes from me and its really scared me like what if i get to that point? I really dont want too. I don't want to feel like this forever. I feel like im craving my boyfriends attention and affection also sometimes and I feel like I can be lonely when Im in the same room as him, like he just doesn't understand or care anymore. I don't want to leave him and become more depressed or it could make me better? Its such a hard decision, I do love him but I need to love myself more and I know that. I feel like all this over thinking is going to make me crazy and depressed. I've started to stay at home 2 nights a week now going to see if that'll help but so far it doesnt. I know thousands of people feel the way I do but I cant help but think im the only one sometimes! Does this make sense? I get terrified that i'm going to have a freak out and go crazy and it really scares me which causes my anxiety.  I have solutions for when Im feeling anxious and what not such as watching netflix and relaxing but thats a short term solution. I don't want to be older and be depressed or go crazy. Can someone just give me some reassurance of any advice if you have ever felt the same? 

I would really appreicate it. xx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety and depression are really two sides to the same coin, they often coexist. It's actually rarer to have one without the other, they are often thought to be different presentations of the same thing
    • Posted

Oh okay that makes me feel a bit better. I didnt notice the depression untill recently, not sure which one is worse
    • Posted

I wouldn't have said I had depression for years, it all seemed to be anxiety - but therapists insisted the depression probably came first - I just didn't realise it. I feel the same, the anxiety I think I hate more,but the depression affects everything probably more. At least I function with anxiety,with the depression I find it hard to do anything at all
    • Posted

I have more the physical symptoms of anxiety but the mind set of depression if that makes sense? I was always an anxious child growing up but nothing serious. It all started when I got into a relationship, its strange how relationships can change your thoughts about things
    • Posted

Yes I'm very much the same, I get a lot of the physical symptoms these days. Yes the triggers which set us off can just sneak up on us, and once we're triggered it can take an awful long time and a lot of work to settle things back down
  • Posted

I know exactly how you're feeling; i too am afraid of death and going crazy sad i try to remind myself that death is just as natural as birth, we all have to go through it, so do animals and they are such innocent souls. in terms of going crazy, i have realised i think this way because i have created such negative thinking patterns as a reaction to things that have happened, but it also means we can reverse these thinking patterns, it takes a while but it works with time and you will heal. What i'm doing in terms of relationships is focusing on myself for a while, being more healthy, more positive, getting myself on the right track to being in a much better mindset, you would be surprised how much even small changes can change us and our lives, i also realised that because i felt i was the only one that felt this bad it intensified my anxieties wayyyy more, so its nice to know that others experience the same, i guess in a way that makes me feel less crazy lol :') keep yourself busy so your mind is occupied with other things, i know how scary it is, i feel scared all the time, scared of living, and scared of dying x
  • Posted

yes my lovely Im one of those going through the same thing as are others who will be on here..My anxiety led to depression because it gets you so down to the point they could have scraped me off the kerb but I got up and sought help. and I understand about you getting it when your older because again thats me I have had it most of my life this time being the worst but I have the menapause to thank for that. what I will suggest is I now try everythhing i can to lead what I call a "normal" life I realise my trigger factors and try to work through them, im on medication hopefully not long term this time but I use aromatherapy oils i do meditation listen to music and starting cbt next week. what ever help is offered my love and take it while you are still young it will help you manage your anxiety better and you can control it rather than it control you I ve gone through this for a lot of years so get help now my love dont suffer like I or many others have. the bright side is I am managing a lot better now. you feel like you are going crazy but I promise you your not. its good that you are having a brak from your boyfriend as your feelings will be all over the shop maybe he may find it hard to understand and thats not his fault only we know what we are going through and those that go through it you are right about loving your self thats so important. hopefully you two can sort things out maybe when you get some help you will feel in a better place. Hope I have helped a little and YOU ARE NOT ALONE
  • Posted

Yes. exactly the same I believe at your age. I am now twice that -  38. Neither too crazy nor dead smile. You will feel better. Perhaps some therapy or counselling to help ease you through this. You are still evolving and i tend to believe that depression and anxiety serve to guide us to a better place inside. You will get to know yourself better through this experience and learn how to comfort yourself and how to keep growing. As for the fear of death, it is the uncertain times we live in. Feels like danger is all around us. Either from outside, or internally in terms of disease etc. You are not designed to be ok with death at this age smile Death becomes suprisingly easier to stomach as you get older. Once you get quite near it no longer looks so terrifying and i know this from watching loved ones pass. Your fear of death now is a sign that there is a lot of stuff you still want to experience. Your ambiguous feelings about your relationship point in the same direction. Perhaps you just need to go out, meet people from all walks of life, explore your place in the world, figure out who you are and where you would like to be. Anxiety and depression often need to be treated. Because they are so all-consuming and so exhausting. But you do not go crazy from it. You were a little affected by the closeness of the person in that hotel room who comitted suicide. If it is any comfort...people afraid of death and losing control as you are do not tend to get suicidal smile. So just explain to yourself in the mirror that this is not what you need to worry about. My heartfelt advice. I went into therapy, first counselling and then medication. I am done with and grateful for both. Consider it as an option if you feel overwhelmed by this. It will get better. All the best. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.