Can anxiety make you emotionally numb?

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone

my partner suffers from anxiety and he has been saying how he does not feel anything for me. his anxiety has been the worst its ever been for the past few months as he had troubble at work and also went through quite a serious illness.

he has troubble expressing love for me and simply does not feel it. it makes me so upset, but i do wonder if him being emotionally numb is due to anxiety?

has anyone here felt emotionally numb when their anxiety is bad?

thank you all

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

i suffer from severe health anxiety and its affecting me on a daily basis now and i literally feel like i have no emotion in me what so ever i have a partner but i have been very distant from him lately i just feel like i want to be on my own everyday i havent shown him ant affection or anything ive been sleeping in a seperate room from him too its not because hes done anything wrong its just me i think to myself whoever isnt around me i cant hurt

• Posted

i suffer from anxiety but i have recently had a therapist because i have been in a relationship for 2 years now and for the past 2 months i have been having intrusive thoughts that i dont love him or want him anymore and i see my self leaving him its hard because it is a mental illness and anxiety can really play with your emotions and also feelings it wont always be like this things will get easier . maybe see if you can get him to go to the doctors and try and seek more help . i can completley relate to kayleigh as we share the similar things but best of luck like i said it will get easier x

• Posted

Im distant too with my husband. I don't try too, and he likes to talk after a long hard day, but with how severe my health anxiety is... I have nothing left to give for him. I lash out alot too, just because Im in a constant battle in my mind, we sometimes without realizing it, take it out on the ones we love the most.

• Posted

your mind is so all over place with anxiety that you only really focus on yourself instead of others and how they feel. all people feel with anxiety is mostly constant fear which is an emotion so hes not emotionally numb.

i dont know if hes on meds but some people do say and think that they dumb emotions but ive never experienced that personally on meds but i have felt emotionally withdrawn from my partner when im having anxious stages because im more focused on myself and what i thinks wrong with me.

when you have a bad anxiety disorder nothing or nobody really interests you, its to much hassle and triggers more anxiety. when the symptoms go away or are managed then the old you starts to resurface a bit more.

• Posted

Hi,

Research depersonalization / derealization

I suffered both (Virtually same thing) whilst suffering chronic anxiety

• Posted

thank you all so much for your replies.

really appreciate it.

he isnt on any medication at the moment and is reluctant to take any. he is in counselling atm.

its such a lonely world for both the sufferer and the partner. i still find anxiety so hard to grasp. he has just been so distant recently and it hurts me so much. i was away for a work conference the other day for a few nights and i told him on the phone that i missed him, he did not say it back. and when i asked why, he said because he does not feel anything.

i have supported him through so many of his ups and downs and i have been there for the past 8 years. i love him with all my heart but when he is anxious he starts doubting our relationship, and his feelings die. and he becomes a very different person, cold, aggitated, annoyed, can fly through the roof at any point out of anger and irritation. can anyone recognize this?

for the past few months his anxiety has been extremely bad as he went through a life thretening illness and on top of that was put through hell at work because they didnt belive him despite doctors notes!

i dont know what to do because he has told me he has no feelings for me, my friends tell me to leave but when i do.. he doesnt want me gone and wants to speak to me. he has been my partner for 8 years and we have shared so much together and i genuinely thought we would share a life together. for me, his anxiety is not an issue and i am willing to support him through out life, gladly! i wish he appreciated that. i am just so stuck at wheter to leave or not...

• Posted

what he has is a condition that is not his fault. i feel for him going through such a torrid time with illness as i have been there to. im not surprised he has developed an anxiety disorder. the mood swings with agitation are all part of the symptoms so its not out the ordinary.

anxiety disorders take time to heal or be managed. he may be depressed aswell so maybe something to look into.

im a bad health anxiety sufferer and it drove my wife crazy untill she did some research now she is my biggest help and support and puts up with my condition no matter how bad it gets.

• Posted

sorry for not starting my sentences with a capital by the way, my phone just wont let me type properly. i appreciate it may be harder to read so appologies

• Posted

when you say he went through serious medical illnesses , can i ask what? i suffer from health anxiety and when im in stages of my worst i notice how distant i am. i dont mean to but i focus on the new "diagnoses" i self-diagnosed! but i did have a tubal pregnancy and battled it for about 5 weeks i really became distant and noticed i was rude to the ones i really loved! how are you with supporting him through his anxiety?

• Posted

Hi Everyone.

The condition he had was sepsis from an unknown source. One day he collapsed and was, according to his doctor, minutes away from death 😦 I stayed with him the whole time in hospital and it was extremely difficult. A real test on our relationship as his anxiety was through the roof. He was not able to fully process the trauma of having sepsis however because as soon as he got back to work he had to deal with allegations towards him.

I try and support him the best I can, I comfort him and listen to him. I let him speak about his worries over and over again. I try to calm him. Whenever he wants to feel calm, he always spends time with me. I am the only one who knows everything that has happened in his life, and the only one he completely trusts.

However recently things have been hard between us. He says he feels nothing for me, and that he thinks he has fallen out of love. For him, love are butterfly feelings.. and we have been together 8 yrs, and ofc those feelings do not last. But what we have now is real love. I feel like any time his anxiety is worse, he brings up the same issues in regards to our relationship.

I do not know wheter to stay or go. Whenever I go, he says he cant imagine his life without me and he does not want me to leave.

What do I do, its not straightforward as he is mentally suffering, but I cant handle just being his friend either 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.