can anxiety medicine cause tinnitus?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Because this a few days ago I noticed when it was rly quiet I could hear a low hum or static kind of noise in my ears. I've had that before when I'm super anxious it was like a pulsating hum and it scared the crap out of me but went away eventually after I calmed down. Well I'm not anxious like I was anymore. I've started taking 100 mg or Wellbutrin 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if this could possibly be the cause of the tinnitus issue. I can actually hear it over the tv sometimes and it is rly bothersome but I've read it can also be caused from ear wax build up or exposure to loud noises. I'm so scared it's going to be permanent and I think the more I worry about it the stronger it'll become. I'm trying to accept it and not pay attention to it but it's so hard, any advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

No, anxiety cannot cause tinnitus.  My mother has had this for 20 years and it is a struggle to deal with as it seems to get louder with age.  She isn't an anxious person, but I have no idea what caused it - it definitely wasn't anxiety.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Anxiety can cause it I had it super bad when I was at the highest point of my anxiety. I'd never had it before then. Once I calmed down it went away look it up it a symptom of anxiety

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Go for the simple reason first to put your mind at rest, ask your GP if there is any wax in your ears, if so He an clear it out for you.

You can actually purchase an liqud to clean your ears out at the chemist.

In the fiftys my Mother would put warm olive oil down my ears to break out hard wax. I would not do that now. See your GP

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've started taking 100 mg or Wellbutrin 3 weeks ago

Short answer - yes, indirectly. Wellbutrin is a unique medicine in its class, it inhibits the reuptake of noradrenaline - a neurotransmiter that (among many other things) regulates the blood pressure. Now, high blood pressure can cause tinnitus - so I suggest you get it checked by a GP / nurse. It is possible (though the odds are rather low) that Wellbutrin causes your blood pressure to be higher than normal (where 'normal' menas normal for other patients on Wellbutrin). In this case you would need to reduce the dose or switch to another medicine displaying a similar profile (venlafaxine maybe? You didn't include enough info to make a suggestion...).

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up