Can anxiety really cause reoccurring chest pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having sharp chest pains since Saturday morning. I had pain, got dizzy and my left arm went numb. That lasted 10 seconds at most. I was on vacation so I went to urgent care and had EKG done that was normal and saw my PCP today who said I was ok it was probably just anxiety or skipped beat but she scheduled a nuclear stress test within next 2 weeks to make sure.

I've had 5 EKGs, an echocardiogram, and wore a 24 hour holter monitor all within the last 8 months; as well as bloodwork.

I do have generalized anxiety and panic disorder but sometimes the pains just happen out of nowhere. I also have GERD and some spine issues going on I'm seeing a neurologist for. Sometimes they can be exacerbated when I move my arm around or when I stretch my back or if I press on the area but 90% of the time they just come for no good reason. It can also happen in clusters. I can have it for days or a week and then not for weeks or months.

It's at the top of my left breast mainly but can happen in different spots on my left side.

It's been doing this off and on for months. Can it really be anxiety?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

They say anxiety can cause so many symptoms its unreal.

I am 39 and have Arythmnia... ectopic beats and pauses....I get dizziness...and weird feelings in my chest from pains...to ice block feelings.These are from my heart problems as well as the anxiety..Which you cant help if you have heart problems.

Also intergestion can cause awful pains.

Sometimes my left hand goes a little tingerly...I have disc degen probs as well as neck degen probs...which I'm sure can all play a part too.

Keep going and going if you are worried.It took 18 months to pick my heart problems up and im still not right yet.So for peace of mind see the gp again and again! X

• Posted

Thank you! That's what I'm trying to do, too. I'm only 29 but I just want to make sure there's nothing really beneath the surface of these. I rather be safe than sorry so good thing for the nuclear. 

I hope all yours works out ok!! 

• Posted

Your symptoms could be due to costochondritis which is an inflammation of cartilage between the ribs. The pain of this can mimic heart symptoms
    • Posted

With that a doctor knows where to press his finger to make you yell out.
    • Posted

I have suffered this rib pain due to fluoroquinolone toxicity for months. I have several places round my rib cage where the pain is very bad if pressed or poked!
    • Posted

Fluoroquinolone gave me tendonitis each time I had it.

When I recently had rib pain my doctor gave me a hug, I yelped and he said sprung ribs.

• Posted

The rib pain is a result of the same process that causes the tendonitis. The FQs cause a degeneration of the collagen fibres that make up both tendons and cartilage. The effects on cartilage have been well known for years. This is why these poisons are not supposed to be given to children as it cripples their joint development. Experiments on beagle puppies showed this donkeys years ago. I went to my doc yesterday to complain about my rib pain and he poked me ( I yelled it was so painful) and then said I had degenerated cartilage and unfortunatel this came with getting older ( I am 64) . I pointed out that I first experieced this at the age of 47 shortly after being given an antibiotic for bronchitis that I am now sure was Cipro as I also developed severe neck pain and Achilles tendonitis.
  • Posted

An A&E (ER) doctor told me that nearly 50% of people going with chest pain have no cardiac cause found for it.

If you google chest pain and anxiety you will find 100's of articles.

• Posted

But I don't feel very anxious you know? Maybe it's subconscious or something.

I'm tired of going to the ER so that's why I asked for more testing. I'm sick of it!

• Posted

Sounds as though you are permanently stressed to your eye balls, so your

body is coming out in sympathy you appear to have had enough tests to

convince you that you are O.K 

Adopt my principle    If I am vertical,,, I'm fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.