Can anxiety trigger ibs symptoms?

Posted , 9 users are following.

When I get anxiety My stomach starts gurgling and making terrible noises usually when I’m taking a test and the room is quiet or when I’m presenting. That day I either get diarrhea or stomach pains. Is there anything to stop the noise because I feel I get even more anxious when my stomach starts making noises and everyone can hear it. Does this happen to anyone else it’s so embarrassing. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Meghan,

Yes. When you have anxiety even w/o IBS you can get a nervous stomach. Which is a normal reaction. But with IBS it can trigger IBS symptoms. When I was in the Airforce they would prescribe 5mg Valium to relax these symptoms. So yes nerves as a result of anxiety can induce an IBS attack. Listen to calming 

Music have some camomile tea and relax. It will help. You need to learn to relax. Good luck!

• Posted

Yes it can particularly if you have been already diagnosed with IBS

try and relax peppermint oil may help.

• Posted

Hi, yes there is a strong link stress/anxiety and gut issues, the Brain and the Digestive system are strongly connected, I've seen the Digestive system referred to as the second brain.

• Posted

Hi Meghan, Yes definitely, Your anxiety can trigger your gut to go wild and vice versa...well, If you have anxiety just during some particular events like during tests or presentations and other time of the day you are generally calm then it is called performance anxiety, which comes only during certain situations and can trigger the symptoms related to your gut, As diane said youu can take valium or propranolol, But the long term management should be to train your mind not to get anxious, along with medication yoga, breathing techniques and meditation certainly will helpbiggrin
  • Posted

yes,anxiety can cause you to have problems as ibs does,2 ways of helping this is 5mg valium or if longer term required 10 mgs citrolopram,which i use now
  • Posted

There's a strong link between anxiety and GI upset. So, when you get nervous or anxious, it'd upset your stomach leading to hormonal overshoot and hyper active bowel sounds..., and in a worse case scenario uncontrollable gas build up and latent flatulence that would win you unwanted attention. Embarrassments happen. But get your anxiety under control or you could be dealing with such unimaginable but possible embarrassment someday. Good luck! 

• Posted

Try deep breathing and listen to calming music to help you relax.  If you still get stomach noises, simply ignore them or make a joke about the problem.  I try to laugh at stressful situations and write funny poems about them.  It eases the anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.