Can anxiousness/nervousness cause loose narrow stools?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, my stools are always solid but when i get nervous or anxious i need to go to the toilet and this leads my stools to come out narrow. Should i be concerned or is this normal? Also if there was an obstruction in the colon would stools always be thin?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is possible to have narrow stools during stress, because your body is tense and doesn’t relax the rectum. I have experienced similar during times of stesss. Studies have not concluded convincingly that colon cancer is linked ton narrow stools. Hemmroids however, can be. 
    • Posted

I had narrow stool for years, till I had a colonoscopy and had to clean myself

out. (About 4 years ago). Rarely have that problem any more. I too, live in a lot of stress. Other things can cause thin stool, evidently.

• Posted

Absolutely that can occur if you are anxious or nervous. The colon reacts to stress. To counteract this, eating foods that provide bulk can be great. If you have a spastic colon, this is one of the things that happen. You can look up what foods provide. There are so many like sweet potatoes, oat meal......just to give you a start. You can even buy natural organic powders that you can make a shake everyday if you are not into vegetables. Try not to eat too much meat or fried greasy foods. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.