Can any medication wipe out your anxiety completley?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey, I've posted before.. but not for a while as I thought I was on the mend. I was on Mirtazapine 30mg for about 10weeks before upping to 45mg as I felt it wasn't doing enough although it had helped in some way. I'm now nearly 4weeks into 45mg and although I've had quite a few good days, I still seem to have mega downers for a day or even aslong as a week. I'm unsure of how long I should give 45mg to work, and also I guess I'm starting to wonder if the last bit of anxiety I have is something I have to deal with myself....I love mirtazapine for the fact it does not muck up my sleep pattern- I also have no side effects and it had lifted my mild depression, but I'm starting to wonder if it is really enough for my anxiety.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Is there another way to manage the anxiety? Maybe CBT ? Just an idea as there may well be another viable option out there which does not require medication.
  • Posted

Hi there, Rachael. You are SO lucky not to have side effects. The incredible increase in my appetite -- especially for starch and sugar and fat -- was the reason I went off the stuff.

I am not sure how Mt. behaves for anxiety. I was taking it for depression.

I have a lot of anxiety these days, but try to get out of the house for a walk or bike ride or go to the gym and find that helps some.

Also, I have some 5 mg diazepam (Librium) that I cut in half if things are getting really bad, and that seems to help.

Wish I could be of more help.

All the best,

Elizabeth

• Posted

I have been taking 45mg of Mirtazipine for around 10 years now, and the increase in appitite is the main thing you really have to keep your eye on, I took it for Depression and I can honest say it saved my life.

Although Drs are loath to prescribe them nowadays, it may be worth asking if you could have say 14 Diazepam  (Valium) 5mg tablets for when the anxiety is at it`s worst, if your will is strong enough, then you can take them PRN. But most doctors will stop it if you ever ask for any more!

(btw Librium is Chlordiazepoxide, approx a 1/3 the strength of Valium).

There is another tablet called, Buspirone I didn`t find it of any use, but everyone is different, it isn`t a Benzodiazepine, and is supposed not to cause addiction. Maybe worth a try.

But in all honesty, for Anxiety, the Benzodiazepines are still the most effective in my opinion.

Good luck, and hope you find what is right for you

Paddy x

• Posted

My doctor has reffered me for therapy of some kind, not sure which but I'm just disappointed that I still feel quite dodgey most days. I have a 3year old son to look after so it is very testing with my anxiety at times. I get on with things, but I just don't feel totally content and myself and that's the most unsettling part. I'm hoping to get back into part-time work now after having like 3years out for having my son...I'm hopeful that just this alone will help me rid myself of this horrible anxiety... I will hopefully be so busy and surrounded by new and exciting people that I will soon rid myself of this massive conundrum. I find my biggest problem is anxiety around feeling better....I constantly assess how I feel...thus leading to more anxiety xx
  • Posted

I know what you mean about the anxiety. I used to get it with the depression, mostly around "when will I feel better?, Will I be like this for ever?"

I have found that a range of things has finally kicked it out of my life. The depression rears its ugly head from time to time but anxiety is pretty much gone. I think for me, a combination of exercise, healthy eating and relaxation techniques have helped. Usually with these things it can take a while to find what works. My advice is to try relaxing. My recipe is some herbal tea, ambient music on (look for carbon based lifeforms on youtube - lovely chilled music) and enjoy the tunes in your room with the lights down a notch.

In the day time, try to get out the house if the weather is nice. A nice sunny day does wonders for the mood.

• Posted

Rachael, it must be tough having anxiety with your 3-year-old. Hang in there! I think you are right about part-time work -- I am retired, and my anxiety and depression have been worse since I no longer participate in the work force. Not that I could work full time now, but it would help to find some satisfying volunteering. Easier said than done!

I hope you can find some peace!

Keep in touch if I can be of help.

Best,

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi, I too think there are are many positives but I still have many moments of anxiety,I have been on Mirt for over a year ,up to 45mg and now 15mg,I am so frustrated as I am still not as I want to be, my worst time is the morning when I cant get my head round anything and every thing seems to be an issue,I think maybe it lifts you so far to a point where you can begin to help yourself....easier said than done. I would persevere if its helped a bit it could help some more....good luck
  • Posted

As strange as it may seem, and you may not want to hear this, but, when you get your depression, anxiety and other psych problems sorted you may find yourself in the same position I was some years ago: -

I was no longer depressed

My anxiety was controllable

I was sleeping OK,

I then had to accept one of the hardest things, and that is that life, is generally boring!

But, feeling a bit flat or maybe unfulfilled in your life, is better than the turmoil of Anxiety and Depression that you have been living through.

I truly hope you find the balance in your life you are looking for, but all the medication in the world won`t win you the lottery! :-)

Paddy x

• Posted

M makes me sleep for 9 hours on 15mg or approaching 12 hours on 30 mg. That is before I take Quetiapin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.