Can any of you gentleman help?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi I'm very concerned for my husband (I'm the worst worrier ever and jump to worst possible scenario no matter what it's always been a dreadful trait of mine sad )

Anyway my husband was treated for a water infection 2 and half weeks ago he is only 29. The only symptom he had what he described to me was a light ache in his lower stomach as if he needed to go but he said it wasn't a sudden urge just a light one. Anyway his r nine was sent of and he did have an infection and the antibiotics cleared it up.

Several days after stopping them the feeling came back so he is now back on antibiotics he has been on them 3 days and says the feeling has gone again. Which is good but I can't help but think something terrible is going off.

I need to add that also over the weekend he had about 3 hours of intense low stomach pain which was very severe we ended up at a walk in centre he could barely move. I don't no if this is related to his problems or a case of ibs which he gets odd times.

He isn't so getting up during the night to urinate, he says he hasn't got any weak flow or stop starting ect. His GP doesn't seem.worried. obviously if the feelings come back I'm straight back to the GP with him! Does anyone on here had anything simular? ? Thank you for.your time.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like a simple UTI - urinary tract infection. They can be hard to get rid of. might take a few courses of anti-biotics until they try the one that works.

The step above that would be prostatitis or an infecting in the prostate. The prostate is hard for drugs to penetrate so that can be somewhat troublesome to get rid of and take a longer period of time.

Neither is life threatening. Just very, very annoying and frustrating and in your case scary.

BTW, worry does not help any heath issue so try to relax for his sake if not yours.

• Posted

Thank you ever so much Bobby. I'm hiding my worry from him because he keeps saying quit with the questions I'm fine.

Then his mum's ringing me saying uti is extremely rare in men. So it's added to my worry!! I don't want him to think I'm worrying this much. He's so laid laid it's unreal. That's why we work as a couple so well he calms me. The GP doesn't seem concerned. And the first antibiotics took it away then it came back so I was extremely worried again.

Thank you for your reply again. I was wondering if it had anything to do with him prostate but no bloods or anything have been done on him.

• Posted

either a UTI or prostatitis.  Both annoying but not threatening.  I'm assuming youre not having any problems as a result of sex?  Keep stress as low as possible, lots of water, light exercise, and antibiotics if perscribed by the doctor.  Make sure he ejaculates every so often as well.

• Posted

No sex isn't an issue. He has a very high drive and no impotence or evacuation problems he does work outdoors all day and does not drink enough! ! Thank you for your reply

• Posted

Evacuation?? It was supposed to say ejactulation blooming auto corrector!
    • Posted

Leanne,

It is possible that YOU have the same infection with few or no symptoms! This is a common problem. YOU should be treated- take the same antibiotics, at the same time as he takes them. Without that, he's getting cured, and you may be lovingly, but unknowingly reinfecting him.

Also, you both should be treated by a urologist, not a gp for this type of problem.

Neal

• Posted

Hi. If the UTI keeps coming back then the GP does need to do some further checking. Try to ensure his blood sugar doesn't go above 'normal' as this can allow bacteria and yeasts to grow. Get a pharmacy to do a finger-prick test if in doubt. Cranberry juice Light (no added sugar) is supposed to help keep bladder bacteria down. Yes, prostatitis is always possible.

• Posted

It was mentioned to him that his blood sugar level was slightly high at 7.5??

Could this be a reason for the infection coming back thank you for your reply

• Posted

Hi, 7.5 is fine; I'm diabetic and know that anything below around 8.5 on a random check is fine

• Posted

Ah right ok the GP said it was slightly higher than normal. Can uti in men be more common than what people think then?
    • Posted

Yes. I had a nasty UTI after surgery last June. I never had one and tryed to ignore it. Figured antibiotics I was on would take care of it. Went staph. Was back in the hospital for 5 days on IV antibiotics.
  • Posted

Make sure that the entire bottle of antibiotics is finished to prevent recurrance. If it does, seek a second opinion.
  • Posted

Hi Leanne,

....I must ask..does your husband have a slight fever....or a slightly elevated temperature. One night I started to get a pain that gravitated to my lower right stomach. Since I had BPH at that time I kind of ignored it..Not to alarm you..It turned out to be appendicitus. I had it taken out and no more problems. Of course it may just be acid indigestion but have a GP doc check it out. The antibiotics that were given might of settled it down...Good Luck

• Posted

Sounds like he may have some prostatitis as well. 90% of prostatitus cases are non-bacterial with no known cause. I have had issues with prostatitis for the last 6 months. Then I finally tried the hot shallow bath and this solved my prostatitis problem,. Mine is a non-bacterial prostatitis.  Also, if your husband is taking antibiotics, the prostate is difficult to reach in this regard. The heat from the bath increases blood flow to the area, including the prostate and helps the antibiotic to reach the prostate. All the best to you...
    • Posted

PS- He could also have pelvic floor disorder, and many term non-bacterial prostatitis as being pelvic floor disorder... Have a look at this with a search engine... Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.