Can anyone advise how they feel with yearly biophosphonate injections?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

Can anyone advise how they feel on yearly biophosphonate injections as opopsed to daily or weekly tablets? I'm trying to find a way to take these drugs with least ill effect. Because of my medical history I have been offered both routes.

Thanks so much.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda sorry to hear you have osteoporosis, I too was diagnosed with it about 3 weeks ago and I'm trying to decide best route to take so will keep you informed when I'm more clued up, I'm UK and have been offered alondronic acid up to now but not are its the best way to go, I'm trying to do more natural route but still short of good info, are your figures really bad

• Posted

Hi Alexandria,

Do tell me which route you eventually take as I"d be interested to hear how you get on. My figures are not great - they were taken 2 years ago age 49 so no doubt will be worse now..Have been advised by the 'expert' up here in Scotland that I need to wait until post-menopausal before I start treatment as the years immediately after you start actual menopause (ie. no periods for a year) is the time of most dramatic bone loss. So you want to use - he said - the 'magic bullet' at the most optimum time, since you are only to be on the drugs for 5 years. After that, the bone loss tails off...though of course keeps on going. It's very bad news to be osteoporotic pre-menopausally and I'm gutted as I'm sure you are!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis earlier this year and my GP prescribed alondronic acid, one weekly.  I was concerned about taking this drug because I already take a number of other drugs for various things also sterods for PMR.  I decided to make a decision not to go down that route, especially after reading the side effects, which I know not everyone gets.  I decided instead to increase my daily intake of calcium to 1000mg which was recommended after the scan plus Vitamin D.  Also after thinking about my diet was felt that my calcium intake was on the low side. I am consious of the fact that I have to be more careful especially after having a spinal fracture which was extremely painful. I told my doctor what i was proposing and I hope that he will be happy to send me for another DEXA scan after a year of this to see if there has been a change. As the body cannot absorb too much calcium at one time, it is recommended that the dose be split.  I also try to do as much walking as I can because this helps. Hope you can get enough info to make a choice.
    • Posted

Hi Jean glad you posted because at the moment I'm doing the same thing and hoping it has a positive effect.

I'm told its good to take vitamin C as well and vitamin k2 but going to see herbalist who's exceptionally clued up on this type of thing, will keep posting.

• Posted

My story much the same as you both...    im reall scared after reading all side effects..  
  • Posted

Hi Linda,

I was sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and that it is i sufficiently advanced for you to consider drugs the best route. 

Despite a very active and healthy lifestyle I was diagnosed with osteoporosis over six years ago, (spine -5.4,- hip 3.6) went down the tablet route initially. Tablets damaged my oesophagus, doctor put me on strontium ranelate. No side effects and an improved t score. No longer osteoporotic in hips. Taken off Strontium because of cardiovascular issues.  Went onto denosumab - Prolia - six monthly injections. No side effects for four years -  further improvement in T score.  However, after last injection had severe thigh cramps  -  unbearable pain -  reported to doc - taken off Prolia. 

I would much prefer to go down the natural route but because of my advanced T score have been advised that any side effects much outweigh the good effects of the medication.

After a lot of research I have now (somewhat reluctantly I must admit) decided to try the annual injection of zolendronic acid. I'm not looking forward to it but appreciate that with my spine T score, its worth while (I hope) to give the drugs a try rather than tolerate crumbling or broken bones.  I receive my injection next Friday! Watch this space!

I'm in my mid seventies, go to the gym three times a week, walk a lot and take calcium with magnesium and boron, vitamin K2 and Vitamin D3. I am in NO pain whatsoever, recently fell down the stairs and broke NO bones - so perhaps something is working??? 

Good luck with your decision - I am sure you will receive lots of assistance from this site. 

• Posted

Thanks Mary.

Unfortunately I was diagnosed pre-menopausally at 49 which is super scary.

That's good news about breaking no bones even though you fell down the stairs. It does say something about bone density not being the whole picture about fractures - which is what my 'expert' consultant told me.

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with your annual injection - do keep us posted!

• Posted

Trying to be positive Linda, I think you are fortunate that at least you have been diagnosed,even though though so young.

A family history (and early menopause)  always meant that I might be diagnosed but on enquiring about osteoporosis whilst in my late  40s I was told by my (then) doctor that unless I went onto HRT I wouldn't be eligible for a dexa  scan. I think I was a little naive and a bit too trusty in those days!  However,  its not called the "silent disease" for nothing. I refused HRT and carried on living unaware that my osteoporosis was becoming gradually worse. 

Years later I paid for an ankle bone scan - the rest is history! 

I'll certainly let you know how I get on next Friday.  I've already read that I should drink lots of water prior to and during the infusion. Not a word from the hospital though about that, just a telephone call for an appointment and no follow up letter - they're saving on administration! 

• Posted

5 weeks now since I had the zolendronic infusion. Drank LOTS of water, before, during and after hospital visit.To date I've had no adverse reactions.

Infusion took over 50 minutes. i.e. Longer than the recommended minimum 15 minutes. I've since read that the longer taken for the Infusion the less likelihood there will be bad reaction. Not too sure of any research on this fact - but it appeared to work for me.

Hope all is going well with everyone - oh and Happy New Year!

• Posted

Glad it went well Mary - do report back any side-effects through the year - sounds positive for you though. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.