Can anyone advise me with waiting times etc

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, new here.

I'm a 49 year old female never had a days illness in my life until I recently visited my GP with breathing problems and thought I had asthma. Turns out I need a mitral valve replacement.

Had lots of ECG tests had CT scan and angioplasty and was kept in hospital for 5 days under observation. I was sent home a month ago and given appointment with cardiologist beginning of July but managed to get cancellation for end April.

On medication which helps but am feeling so in limbo at the moment as no one can tell me when I will be operated on or how long the waiting list is etc. Can anyone tell me if my appt with cardiologist will be when I find out?

I'm not scared of having the op but I'm not coping very well being in limbo. I have a young family and run a business and hate this situation. Thanks for reading this long draw out post!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I dont think you will find out from cardio they never really are aware how long their lists are, it depends on if he marks it as urgent or routine, you could ask him that question when you see him. I hope you find some answers if after you have seen him and your symptoms get worse then keep phoning  his secretary every two or three weeks. What hospital are you under

• Posted

Hi Linda thanks for your reply. I'm under Derby Royal Hospital at the moment. X
    • Posted

I am with Princess Royal Telford my heart problem is Microvascular disease and coronary artery spasms thats when the very tiny micro vessles and main large arteries spasm causing angina pain 
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that I hope you're getting all the right treatment etc. Big hug xx
  • Posted

As you have had tests, scans and an angioplasty why are you being referred to a cardiologist rather than the surgeon?

Most hospital web sites have indications of waiting times for procedures if you search them.

I hope that your experience is better than mine. I was diagnosed elsewhere and referred to cardiology and had a 54 week wait for my aortic valve replacement but you are ahead of me in already having had tests.

At the time of seeing the actual surgeon at yet another hospital he told me his waiting time was 13 weeks but it stretched out to 24 weeks and I had been pestering them during that time

• Posted

Hi Derek thanks for replying. I realised I've had an angiogram not angioplasty as stated not sure if that makes a difference.

That's an awful long time you had to wait.

• Posted

At the time I had an angiogram I was told that I would have my operation within eight weeks. After four weeks when I phoned the hospital where it was to be done they had no record of me. When I phoned the referring hospital they said that Dr. X was a bit behind with his paper work!!! I later found that he had gone on holiday without doing it. That took another week and and I was then not going to be seen by the surgeon for another six weeks.

I then went to see him privately. He said that on his private list it was an eight week wait and thirteen weeks for his NHS list. For £25K it was worth waiting the extra five weeks. That though turned out to be 24 weeks. 

I'm sure that you must do better.

• Posted

Hi,

I am 23 years old and have a CHD called Shones Complex. I have had 12 hearts surgeries (6 or 7 of them were open heart surgery)

I have a mechanical aortic and mechanical mitral valve, and a leaking aortic valve, as well as other problems.

I am awaiting another open heart surgery to replace both valves again. Ive had them replaced a few times.

Waiting times depend of severity and your hospital, usually i just get a call the evening before and they say we have a bed tomorrow morning so its as and when they have free beds.

• Posted

Hi,

I am 23 years old and have a CHD called Shones Complex. I have had 12 hearts surgeries (6 or 7 of them were open heart surgery)

I have a mechanical aortic and mechanical mitral valve, and a leaking aortic valve, as well as other problems.

I am awaiting another open heart surgery to replace both valves again. Ive had them replaced a few times.

Waiting times depend of severity and your hospital, usually i just get a call the evening before and they say we have a bed tomorrow morning so its as and when they have free beds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.