Can anyone be so kind and explain to me what this means?

Posted , 6 users are following.

LIVER: There is fatty infiltration of the liver with focal sparing adjacent to the gallbladder fossa.? Does it just mean i have a fatty liver? Or worse should I b more concerned or just work on losing some weight to reverse this? I kno you all r not doctors but I thought maybe someone would understand this a little more and could ease my mind ty so much. ❤

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It means you have fatty liver.. make some life style changes like eating healthy and excersise to reverse it. Fatty liver is a disease process and can progress into something irreversible. If you drink, give it up.

• Posted

So it's nothing I have to worry about I have already lost some weight so just continue to do so?? And I'll b fine?? Am I freaking out for nothing?? I don't drink at all

• Posted

Hi Joann

I presume you've had a CT scan? I'm horrified that no medically qualified person has explained the results to you. All this medical gobbledygook is ridiculous and effectively excludes ordinary people from knowing what is going on in their own bodies. In your case, it has obviously frightened you. Never be ashamed or too embarrassed to ask what a diagnosis means. The good news is that Fatty Liver Disease is reversible.  Look on it as a warning. Eat a low fat diet, avoid alcohol, exercise more and lose weight. If you don't do these things, it could develop into something worse.

You don't have to run a marathon, brisk walking each day will do it. Find foods that are low in fat that you like. For a treat, baked potatoes, cut into wedges, sprayed lightly with olive oil and crisped up in the oven are every bit as delicious as chips and much lower in fat. Try sweet potato wedges cooked like this for a change. Eat your '5 a day'. Chose 0% fat dairy or low fat products. Avoid cakes and biscuits. Eat plenty of fibre (eat skin on potatoes, wholemeal bread and bran based cereal). You will find weight just falls off and you will feel so much better in yourself.

I've lost four stones in a year by doing this. Do not crash diet- a gradual loss of 1-2 lbs a week is best.

• Posted

Th for your response they just said oh it's a fatty liver it's common u just have to lose weight . I have been working very hard to do so even before I found this out I stated a diet I was pretty heavy I was up to 194 pounds this was like 4 n half months ago I was like what am I doing I need to lose weight i am now down to 169 just by eating better cutting portion size and walking 45 min to an hour a day I still have about 25 pounds I'd like to lose I'm hoping to have off by the end of the year. I also have little kidney stones I need to pass so I have been drinking tons of water with lemon in it that scared me to death to on the report in all doctor terms was all this stuff about my kidneys n I'm like what does all this stuff mean?? They were like oh that basically means u just have nonobststructing calculus they r usually harmless I'm like usually??? Usually is not good enough for me I want to hear it's harmless and u will b fine! First they just gave me an ultrasound n they thought I had calicum in my kidneys so they gave me a ct scan then they said no it's just nonobststructing stones. N that's when they said that about my liver. So after finding all this out I did a total turn around on my diet. I'm hoping this will make things better!

• Posted

KIDNEYS: There is a 2 mm nonobstructing calculus in the upper pole calyx of the right kidney. There is a 1 mm calcification adjacent to the lower pole calyx of the right kidney. There is a 2 mm nonobstructing calculus in lower pole calyx of the right kidney. No definite calculi are identified in the medullary portion of the kidney to suggest medullary nephrocalcinosis. In the left kidney, there is a 5 mm nonobstructing calculus in the upper pole calyx with a 2 mm calculus in the lower pole calyx. There is no hydronephrosis or contour deforming mass. No ureteral stone is identified. This is what the report said about my kidneys the doc dident seem overly concerned but when I read it it sounds scary.

• Posted

Actually most medical things sound scary when you are not a trained medic. I have an uncommon eye disease called uveitis and just recently my ophthalmologist sent a very detailed update using lots of medical termsto my GP and believe me, what he said if I had not known better would have made me believe I was going blind in the near future but in the 11 years since I was diagnosed I have always made sure doctors have fully explained things to me in appointments and letters any thing I have not fully understood. justvrecently though I had the opposite problem, I had a special kind of endoscopy and the doctor told me that although my liver was enlarged, it was something i was born with and I did not need to woory, no further tests or. trearment were needed. So i was greatly relieved. however when I saw the professor two weeks later (31 July) he told me I had very rare genetic condition which has affected the liver and will need a major operation in the next few weeks. no change of diet will make any difference. i would rather have a full explanation rather than false reassurance of "doctor knows best". i really wish I had asked more questions of the first doctor, rsther than just taking his word

• Posted

I sent my message before I was done.. they are very small so drink lots of water to flush them out.. you deff dnt want them to get big. They are very painful once they are big...

The words the radiologist uses in reports are scary to use because a lot of times we don't speak medical terms.

When that same wording appeared on one of my ct scans I freaked out at first but when I found out how small 3mm really is and that it was refering to a kidney stone I called down. My didn't even mention it to me, I had to look it up on Google. My older brother had bug kidney stones once years ago and I remembered the pain he was in so I started drinking water like crazy cause i deff didn't want to go through what he went through.

About the fatty liver, continue doing everything your doing because diet and excersise is about the only thing you can do for it. You can ask your Dr about taking vitamin e. If you Google the PIVENS trials you will see they had good results treating fatty liver with vitamin e.

You may want to consider booking an appt with a gastro who has liver knowledge or even better a heptaologist and let them follow you in your journey to reverse your fatty liver. It may not be the case for everyone everywhere but it's been my experience that GP'S don't know much when it comes to the liver. My Dr told me "you have fatty liver, no big deal, don't worry" meanwhile I'm showing all the signs of advanced liver disease. He should have known this.

Fatty liver is common but regular Drs attitude towards it is alarming. I don't want to scare you but fatty liver untreated can lead to fibrosis and then cirhossis and that can not be reversed. There are far too many people in forums who progressed because they didn't know. Their Dr never told them.. just told them not to worry about it. DON'T freak out with that information because you don't have it. I just wanted you to know how important it is for you to take care of your liver. Your liver is the only organ we have that is capable of regeneration. If you take care of it, it will repair itself. It really is an amazing organ.

• Posted

See this is what I mean one person tell u oh don't worry it's just a fatty liver or your liver is just enlarged u were born like this u will b fine n then things like that happen it's very scary to me. My mom died from liver failure she was not a drinker but she did take alot of medication and was also a smoker I mean she drank like at weddings and here n there but not all the time. Me on the other hand I never drink never smoked and only take meds for high blood pressure and high cholesterol and just very low dosage and I take but b and but d I do not take any meds unless I absolutely have to because I watched my mother die of this horrific disease. So me just hearing "fatty liver " scares the daylites out of me! I will do whatever it is I have to do to reverse this! My doctors have told me I do not have to worry but I am scared to death I have changed my diet lost weight i walk everyday I'm like how long does this take to reverse?? I kno this does it happen over nite but I just want it gone! Same thing with my kidneys they r like it's nothing to worry about its just little stones to me it's something and I want it out!! All of these things scare me in gonna try and get in with my primary doc tom and I'm gonna ask her about taking vit E. Maybe there is something else i can do naturally to help or some other vit i can take to help idk but im willing to try anything or do whatever i have to do! Ty guys so much for your responses it really does help to have someone to talk to while you r feelibg this way! ?

• Posted

There is nothing else you can do for fatty liver except diet and excersise unfortunately.. I personally do not know how long it takes to reverse.. maybe a few months? Try not to worry yourself crazy over it. Your doing all the right things and YOU WILL BE FINE. Your not gonna die, no worries.
    • Posted

Ty careful! That is my fear for real that I'm gonna die! That's what I'm gonna do just continue to do what I'm doing i can do this I kno I can! I will look better and feel better and I'm doing it the right way! I'm going to get myself healthy! Food was always my downfall I can get myself healthy and still once in a great while have a cheat day here n there but for the most part stay on track so this never happens again! My life is way more important then eating bad food everyday! Hopfully I can turn this around maybe in a few months hopfully in a few months they will give me another scan to see if u turned this around for the better and hopfully I drank enough water to get these stones out also! Ty for your message!?

• Posted

Sadly medics will happily treat addictions to tobacco, drugs and alcohol, but when it comes to food .....

Its actually quite hard to find the level of calorie intake that will keep you at a steady healthy weight - other factors such as exercise, mood, genetics, even the fats and sugars that are 'hidden' in our foods these days . I remember seeing a documentary about a school teacher who ate only fruit for breakfast but couldn't lose weight. It turned out she was eating about a days worth of calories in fruit for breakfast! So it's quite hard to achieve. 

I'm glad you've adopted a healthy lifestyle to try and prevent issues such as gallstones. You sound like you're doing great!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.