can anyone enlighten me

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi need to ask a question i'm 54 and postmeno for 4yrs had my last smear in 2015 always had normal smears but my last smear in 2015 the nurse told me my next smear would be due in 2020 as i've had normal smears after 50 it is every 5yrs but the receptionist at my gp's have phoned me twice and told me i'm over due my smear test by 1yr as i explained to them what the nurse told me at my last smear i'm not due til 2020 they told me they never heard of this every 5yrs but on nhs site it does say every 5yrs over 50 can someone plz tell me if this is correct as i'm panicking now that i'm overdue........

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes, that is the guideline now. As long as all your smears have been normal. If you have no symptoms of unusual discharge or bleeding/spotting or itching or anything else unusual,then yes,every 5 years from 50 to 64.

Not all NHS staff get up to date with the latest NHS guidelines,so dont worry at all.

• Posted

I doubt you need them at all...if you've always had normal smear tests, you're likely to be HPV- and that means not at risk of cc.

About 95% of women aged 30 to 60 are HPV- and not at risk of cc.

The speculum exam can become increasingly painful and damaging as we age, it can even leave women with UTI's, soreness and bleeding - there's no need for speculum exams anyway, there's a reliable and safe HPV self testing option that's been available for sometime, and being used in a few countries like The Netherlands, it's just that most women are not being offered the self-testing alternative.

I don't have smear tests, HPV- women cannot benefit...and that's most of us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.