Can anyone explain this new set of nightmares/flashbacks?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi people. I don't know if anyone has been through this before or can I explain what I do. I have had yet again nightmares last night involving both my 2 rapists hurting me and locking me into a car. I normally see a counsellor each week but typically I'm not well and she's not there this week (normally on a Thursday). I am now slightly traumatised by this and really quite shaken and frightened, the experience has made me cry. Do I write this down for my counsellor so she can see what is going on? What do I do when she's not here. Please be kind in any response I am already scared enough! It happened last night.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sam, Do you have someone that you could ask them for a cuddle or a shoulder to cry on, some times we just need a cry to help with the pain.

Dealing with flashbacks and nightmares can be hard on our being, yes write them down for your therapist to see what pattern is forming within your mind, it might be that you need a different medication, the med's that i take have changed over the years finding the right one that has a chemical impact on my brain takes time but it's worth it.

All of us who read these pages send healing to you.

Peace to you Sam.

John

• Posted

Hi John, I contacted my counsellor in the end and they talked me through it, I wrote it down then used a grounding technique that helped me a lot

I just feel really embarrassed about the whole thing now and will discuss it with my counsellor next week. Thanks my husband knows too.

• Posted

Sam Their is no need to feel embarrassed for without communication with the wide world we don't realize that the world has so many people suffering.

You decide when to talk,it's your choice so take your time, having an understanding husband is a bonus.

God bless

John

• Posted

Hi John, thank you for being so kind it's true without communication we wouldn't find out anything. I'll keep explaining as that's what helps me the most.

• Posted

Hi Sam, I find that sleeping helps to unwind, that's all iv'e done to day. Too much confusion in my mind leaves me helpless and so i sleep, would you like to tell me what you do, it maybe something i haven't tried yet.

Peace to you.

John

• Posted

Hi John, the problem I seem to have is the more ill I become the more depressed I then get really fed up. I sleep tonnes when I'm ill and I've now had enough being ill. Hopefully it will get better but it doesn't seem to. I wish I could work all day never mind sleep.

• Posted

Hi Sam, What about trying a hobby something that you have thought about but have never done. Something to give you a challenge, even if it doesn't work the first time push yourself. I found that when i was at school i was good at drawing but as i got older the drawing left me other ideas came into my head, so i tried to draw again expecting great results' i couldn't believe the rubbish i put down' every time i tried i would end up tearing up the picture because i felt that it was a mess, after a few months i started to see that my pictures were all full of anger and i realized without thinking about it i found away to express my feelings. That then led me to write down what stupid dreams i was having, i continue to draw and now i try my hand at Watercolour,Pastels, Acrylics and anything that takes me out of my comfort zone.

We need to find an alternative way forward instead of the easy way in life, when i challenge myself to do something i'm not thinking of past thoughts, i'm thinking only in the moment pushing myself giving myself a break of negative feelings bringing positive feelings to the front helping me to feel better with my self.

You have to learn to love yourself again it's part of the process of being the real you. Fight these feelings Sam find something to change the pattern of your life and you will surprise yourself.

God bless 

John

• Posted

Hi John it's amazing how many people are visual thinkers and learners, but I am not one of them. I am an auditory learner with no artistic bone in my body. I am an absolute amateur musician who learnt up to grade 5 on the piano, I'd a new piano-type keyboard that works! Wish me luck getting one of those I might have time to do something for me then, that's what I miss.

• Posted

Yes Sam good luck, i think you will surprise your self, we all have hidden talents finding yours will be a good challenge for you. My mother tried to get me into singing when i was a child but with no luck i was just a normal    misbehaved boy, but i loved hearing my mother sing, she sang to the troops in 1946 and was good at it, i do miss her.

Anyway i cannot sing but i love music so let me know how you get on God bless

John

• Posted

Hi John, I will find a way to do things I am sure. I am not dead yet! I still have some contact with my church and sometimes find they give me great solace.
    • Posted

Hi Sam Sorry i didn't reply this morning but iv'e been a bit tired, i'll talk again soon 

God bless John

• Posted

Hi John, sorry I didn't respond after finally seeing my counsellor yesterday but crashed out as per usual! I can't fault my counsellor she was so supportive, she's going to really help me to with these flashbacks so I can get some long needed proper rest. I am quite pleased, but I hope it works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.