Can anyone give me ideas on what this could possibly be? Doctor thinks it’s pure stress

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’ve been to the doctor and we settled on TMJ a year ago, however when I chew, it doesn’t make me spasm. He believes it’s mainly stress, but I sleep and do nothing all day that would stress me out and breathe and meditate and relax and yet it still happens and is tense. I have had panic attacks before.

Here is my list of symptoms that are in general:

Phlegm build up in throat - clear mucus

Stomach pain after eating hot Cheetos style food

A couple years ago, my whole left side of arm chest and back went numb when I was working out. Went back to normal though

Cold hands and feet

Bad acne on back

These are the symptoms that bother and worry me:

Muscle spasms and tension on both sides of the face, one side spasms at a time

Dull aching spasm occurs practically all day on one side, jaw, SCM(neck) and traps feel tense

Flare ups where pain gets intense and I have to bury my head into my pillow till it stops

Popping shock feeling under skin that’s spasming or behind eye occasionally

Parts that feel tense are my traps, SCM(neck) and behind ear up to scalp and jaw on the side that’s tense

Traps feel numb at the top, parts of face and neck feel numb at times

Eyes feel heavy on the side that’s spasming, closing eyes helps it relax

Hard to focus on anything when spasms are occurring

Ear feels full On The side that’s tense

Sometimes eyes shake or when trying to relax, I get double vision

Sunlight sometimes too bright

Throat on the side that’s aching feels weird, like it’s swollen but it’s not

Random prickly feelings on the tensing side under skin

Muscles that tense get pins and needle feeling and popping feeling and then it’s more relaxed and aching stops

Teeth on the side that spasms feels weird, like sensitive to tough with other teeth

Worse after a night of drinking a little

Sometimes I slur my words, especially during bad spasms

Sometimes the nostril on the side that’s spasming is completely blocked

Sometimes on the left side when I’m relaxing my muscles, my left bottom lip starts to droop a lot

On the right side, when I’m trying to relax it, i get a head rush feeling and feel light headed and need to stand and walk around

It happens during the day, when I wake up from naps and sleeping, it’s non existent. Then the aching comes along and then next thing you know I’m having a really painful spasm. When I lay down flat on my back, it can relax the muscles and feel better. Or scrunchup my neck and trap muscles to help them relax.

Is this just all coming from stress or anxiety? Or does it sound like I have a neurological problem? I have a strong feeling it’s not TMJ because I chew gum all the time and it doesn’t hurt before or after.

This is driving me insane and it makes it hard for me to do anything. I’ve become bed ridden and I barely go out anymore.

Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like neurological problems. how long have all of these symptoms been happening?
    • Posted

A couple of years now. I try to relax but it doesn’t help sometimes. Seeing a neurologist soon so I’ll see what happens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.