Can anyone help?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with rectocele and it is ruining my life. I feel like my whole life revolves around my next bowel movement. I’m constantly afraid of the bulge I will feel if I need to push even the slightest bit. Sometimes it’s very uncomfortable and a bit painful. I am terrified to try to have sex. Even a tampon made me uncomfortable. I definitely do not want the surgery as it sounds awful. My doctor says it’s not that bad but to me it feels horrible. Anyone else dealing with this? How do I live life with this?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I know women who live with this for years; they manually assist with emptying during defecation; I don't know of anybody who had successful surgery

• Posted

Sorry you are dealing with this too - ive been dealing with this for years also. After a full hysterectomy 8yrs ago it has gotten progressively worse. It is very uncomfortable and i too am too embarrassed and afraid to have sex - i'm sure anything in lower bowel can be felt and what if it gets pushed out!? I cant fully empty my bowels when i go to the bathroom and hsve to insert a finger in my vagina to push on the back wall in order to. TMI so sorry! I am on the road a lot with my job and i am tired of having to make sure i know where the closest restrooms are at all times! I am scheduled for a consult next month with a surgeon who specializes in female pelvic reconstructive surgery. A bit nervous but hoping something can help me get back to a more "normal"

• Posted

Best of luck with your appointment. I hope it all goes well and they come up with a plan for you. 
  • Posted

I am experiencing the same thing and thought my hemmoroidectemy would have cured it. Nope. No more bleeding but can eliminate now without help of my enema bag. Everyday. Need 3 hours to prepare to leave my house. And still I feel incomplete. I can’t imagine this is for the rest of my life. I won’t do surgeries cause none sound worth the risks. Anyone have any positive suggestions?
    • Posted

I hope you find alternatives to surgery so you don’t have to deal with this much longer. I am not willing to have the surgery either, but living with this is not easy. 
  • Posted

I'm scheduled for repair of 3 rectoceles (1 at stage 1, 1 at stage 2; and 1 at stage 3 but almost a 4). I'm terrified of the recovery but I can't go on another year defecating manually. I'm 47. Life is too short and I've heard MANY success stories including my own mother. It's scheduled for Aug 7th. Wish me luck!

• Posted

Best of luck to you. I hope all goes well and your story is a success as well!
  • Posted

SLippery  great  if you our at rug going to  push it out.next it’s out. it makeS  bm very slippery and I think slides out easily. Another thing that she great, baking soda is a great laxative but can be quite strong and make you have diarrhea. You can decide which would be best for you. I fixed my constipation with slippery elm, I used to be very badly constipated with IBS-c the slippery elm works wonders for me. If you need a natural laxative though, because nothing is even there to come out and your not going, baking soda is an amazing and fast working laxative. Take a teaspoon 30 min before eating in the morning. If you want the bm fast, drink one or two coffees 30 min after the baking soda and you should go right away with the coffee (when im horribly constipated sometime soon i had to drink three coffees but very rare. The coffee works with the baking soda. Be careful and take it slow  with the second or third coffee because it can quickly become diarrhea if you overdo it. The point isn’t to get diarrhea it’s to just make your bowels move) the slippery elm makes you not need any laxative as it works by making your bm slip all the way through and out. It’s really slippery haha! It is amazing, when you take the powder with water you can feel it attaches to the side of your mouth and is sticky and slippery (kind of like when you’re at the ocian and the moss in the water feels slippery). I take Slippery Elm with each meal, half teaspoon. You want it to mix with all food.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I may try the slippery elm or baking soda. I can’t drink coffee because of the caffeine (I have gastritis and can’t have caffeine) I appreciate your help!
    • Posted

I think you will be astonished by the slippery elm, it works so well for me. I use daily to have to drink 1-3 coffies with the baking soda to go regularly, was really bad. Now, with the slippery elm, I drink one tea and im good to go. I don’t even need coffee anymore. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.