Can anyone help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 47 and over the past few months I have been suffering from some sort of Reflux (without acid more muscle movement) from my stomach to the back of my throat ,my tongue is sometimes red and sore and I have been suffering from anxiety and feeling very morbid , I am trying to keep strong for my family but think I’m losing the battle and may break down at any time.

Has anyone else been through this and should I go on anti depressants?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gary

Yes for about 7 year's I have had morbid feelings and general fear of death. Anxiety as a whole for 15 years. I would see your GP as a first point of call but I suffer with reflux with my anxiety from time to time. I get a cold burn from mg stomach right through my windpipe. They may recommend meds but that can make your stomach probs worse initially but they can prescribe omoprozale for that as that's what I have. Another thing Gary please don't think that anxiety and the need for meds makes you look weak or defeated it takes more strength to seek help than not. We all need help sometimes thats what Dr's are there for to help you feel better and try to get you back to your old self. I suspect the reflux type illness is anxiety related but then again it might not be. Unfortunately as an anxiety sufferer they tend to pigeon hole you and put most aliments down to that. I hope this is a bit helpful and you get to a GP soon for advice at the v least.

Natalie

• Posted

Reflux is a sign of possibly a problem with the body. You need to talk to a Dr before it gets worse. It could be a hiatal hernia. If you believe in God, pray to him.
  • Posted

Its also an anxiety symptom as is IBS and many other physical symptoms.
  • Posted

Yes it is a symptom of IBS and Fibromylagia that is why you need to go to a Dr. soon before it gets worse.
  • Posted

Ibs and reflux are symptoms of anxiety. As well of a physical illness.
  • Posted

Hi mate,

Get this seen to ASAP,I had similar problems last year,had anxiety/depression for over 50 yrs,so I know the score.

My throat/stomach problem was diagnosed as barrettts esophagus plus hiatus hernia,in my opinion this was worsened by worrying over things too much,mainly due to having a dual knee replacement and prior to that being medically retired,so no work for 2 yrs.

i can now walk,my stomach reflux seems to have abated,and my anxiety is under control thanks to 400mg of Pregabilin per day,although I am seeing a shrink in a week's time to discuss my ongoing problems with anxiety and maybe a possible change in medication

You must see your doctor and get this seen to,it will not go away on its own,believe me.

Good luck

• Posted

Gary, The advice to see your GP is very good. Your symptoms could be from a physical condition so it's essential to see your doctor ASAP. Perhaps you should see a new doctor and not mention your anxiety and fears. Sometimes when you speak of anxiety doctors think everything you feel is attributable to mental and emotional conditions. Natalie mentioned this in her comments. Just describe your physical symptoms and let the doctor do the necessary tests to rule out a physical ailment. Good luck from Long Island, NY
  • Posted

Thank you everyone very much for your advise and being honest, I have booked to see my Dr for tomorrow so hopefully will get some closure on it, it is very nice that everyone is so kind and once again I thank you all.

Regards Gary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.