Can anyone help me with some advise please -citalopram discontinuation effects or withdrawal symptom

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on Antidepressants for around 20 years

I came off Citalopram cold turkey -my doctor's advice now for 36 days -I have gone through the dizzy spells etc i have been told the chemicals from the drug are out my system - but now i am feeling like my head is going to explode -i get angry and upset that i cannot feel better sooner - I am not sure what this feeling is -cannot read anywhere if anyone else has gone through this - I am in a situation that i really do not want to go back on tablets but do not know how much longer i can cope with the problem in my head ...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I guess it will take a long time to properly get the serontonin levels normalising without the aid of the meds? 20 years is a long time so it surely must take a while sorry not sure I can help much more than that hope there is improvement soon.
    • Posted

Thank you for that message -it is nice to just have a little feedback from others - Thank you -
  • Posted

Hi

I've taken these meds for around the same time as you and have come off them before too.  Your doctor advised you to go cold turkey?  That's a very dangerous thing to do, and of course you've now found out the hard way unfortunately.  If ever you do take these meds again you need to withdraw very slowly - I did it my 5ml at a time over 6 months maybe and had no side effects.  One thing I found though when I stopped was that I could cry at anything.

Ok ...... so you could introduce a little of the meds again, maybe 5ml - this is temporary.  It may relieve this feeling in your head, but I'm no doctor so maybe you should ask your doctor again.  Mind you if he advised you to stop abruptly in the first place I'd be looking for a different doctor.

When I was off the meds I took 5-HTP (a natural SSRI) and l-tyrosine.  Both are bought over the counter at Holland & Barrett if you're in the UK.  5-HTP works quicker than SSRI's and is natural.  You can stop/start this whenever as there's no side effects either way.  However, you must not take this if you're taking any SSRI at all as they can interact.  You say you've been off Citalopram 36 days so it could be ok, but maybe check?

The meds may be out of your system, but I suspect you'll feel the after effects for a while yet.

K xx

• Posted

Hi, Thankyou i draw strengh from help from others - i know longer trust the doctor i was seeing as i have spoke to several people in the medical proffession that to told me it was the wrong to come off the tablets - It has been a harsh ride and i still am very hard at time - i feel all proffesionals that needed to be there to help me have not been -the services have been cut back so much--- that not only am i going through a tough time --- i have been sent from hospital -doctors- and they really do not know what each other are doing the makes me upset and more stressed out . I am trying so hard to stay off them it is so difficult .. Thank you for your reply

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean about being shuffled from doctors-hospital-doctors ...... and the waiting time in between too for some appointments.  Not only have I suffered from this dreadful illness (luckily recovered now) but my son did too 18 months ago.  He had to wait so long for appointments and was pushed from pillar to post, and as you say 'the arse didn't seem to know what the elbow had said' (to put it lightly).

There isn't the support we need - most support seems to come from sites like this.  I hear a lot about doctors on this site, some really good ones, but others that don't seem to have a clue about these meds or the timescale in which they work.

Makes me so angry hearing about our treatment in these matters - I had to fight for my son and lord knows how he'd have coped without me by his side.  The way he was spoken to initially could easily have sent him over the top - nobody speaks to my child like that.  He's now recovered 😄

I hope you settle soon xx

• Posted

Hi, I'm going through the same thing with lorazepam. I have been on them for 15 yrs. Recently started Celexa. 

My my question is , why do you want to stop after 20 yrs. I know Ativan is a benzo and highly addictive but I can not survive without them . Drs have tried to get me off them but to no avail with more drugs.

sometimes we need them for life. I hope this wasn't discouraging but withdrawal is hard. I was on Celexafor 5 years and weenedof properly,felt great for 2 years now I'm back on them again . Unless it's for a medical reason ,don't put yourself through it.20 years is along time.

• Posted

Hi ,The reason i had to come off the tablets is that i was having terrible with my stomach and head i already have a hiatus hernia and my doctor thought the tablets might be making my stomach worse thinking it might be causing a ucler .. I am feeling a little better everyday just noticing pains i never had before .. I think it has been harsh for me as my doctor give me the wrong advise to come off cold turkey it has been a really bad shock to the system -- Thank you for replying ...
  • Posted

Me agian day 40 -and i feel pretty terrible suffering bad mood swings- upset -angry - not enjoying anything  - aching , stomach problems ,headache - No sure where to go from here . went to the sea with the dog this morning could not wait to get back indoors feeling dreadful -Can anyone help ?? i am seeing my psychiatrist she is a locom and i am dreading going to see her last time in the 15 minutes throw a prescription at me duloxetine and said see you in 3 months -i was the worst i have even been in my life .
    • Posted

Hi, okay it's probably going to take some time for you to normalise but stick with it, if you can. I am 5 months of cit after taking it for 2 years 20/30mg. I tapered off 30mg over 4 months but I still had bad enough withdrawals. Initially it was headaches, digestive problems, nightmares/vivid dreams, tingly joints/bones, extreme tiredness, teeth grinding. These withdrawals subsided but were replaced by anxiety (like I've never known), depression, sadness, fear. Again these subsided I felt GREAT for 6 weeks but then more withdrawals, this time hives, itching, skin crawling, anger, sadness.

At time I've felt like going back to Dr but I dont want to go back on tabs, I know myself best and know ghat this up and fown of symptoms isnt depression it's my neurotransmitters trying to stabalise. Alcohol doesnt seem to be good for me, exercose is good as is rest and yoga. Fingers crossed for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.