can anyone help with coming off gabapentin??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone help me as I am a newbie!!  Been on gp for 4 months 800 mg at night.  I really want to come off these.  I cannot ask gp as my sister put me on them for feet pain, now I want to come off these but dont know how?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Well, you may have noticed but Gaba. does not really help for pain very well anyways..... a common analgesic like ibuprofen would do better......you should not have let your sis talk you into taking a drug without prescription really.  Have you noticed any bad side effects ?  Well I have alot of experience withdrawing from gaba. since I was on it for 4 years.  Was using up to 1200 mg/per day.....I tapered off slowly for a 4 months period and now am off completely.  Since you have only taking it for 4  months, it should not take very long......what ever you do, dont withdraw abruptly.....you will have side effects............getting to your point, I would suggest you try withdrawing about 100 mg/ per week . would take maybe 6 or 7 weeks......i'm being very conservative since it is better too slowly than too quickly......once I got down to 100 mg/ per day....I started splitting the capsule (100 mg/ capsule in to 50 mg/ taking it twice per day.....then a week later down to 25 mg/ taking it 2 times per day.....then lastly  only 25 mg/ per day for 7 days.......I'm now completely off for 6 weeks and I feel fine.......good luck..

• Posted

Do it very very slowly! I was on 3200 mgs, brought down way to fast, been almost a year and am finally doing fine except still have stomach issues!!

Do not rush this..

• Posted

How did she ever get a potent medication like this for you? As a nurse, I feel I must say that there are various diagnosis for foot pain and to just take a medication without Doctor's advice is foolish. You don't know how it will react with your meds or if it is even needed. I think you should bite the bullet and ask a physician for advice. This is a powerful drug not to be taken for granted.

• Posted

And you never split an enteric coated capsule!
    • Posted

Beg to differ with you.  You can split a capsule  and I did it successfully.  was even told it was ok by pharmacist. No is not normally done but during my withdrawal it was necessary. 
    • Posted

What I did was pull open a 100 mg/ capsule  and carefully poured out about 1/2 making it a 50 mg/ cap......no harm at all ...and it worked perfectly well.....
    • Posted

What I find immeasurable more harmful is a physician telling you a drug like gabapentin is perfectly safe  to take....... and that is so safe that "you can't really take too much of it"  Yes , my neurologist told me that. How wrong he was......sometimes you have to use your own common sense....Dr's are not infallible and we should be working together to acheive desired results.....not the Doc just dicatating and patient following.....

• Posted

Hi Jiim 

Thanks for the advice.  I had nerve damage to my feet and my sis has fibro.  She gave me a strip in tab form.  I will do what you suggested as I am feeling wiped out with these and stomach feels upset.  Just reading the comments on these has me so nervous... feel like a smackhead now for taking them.. I agree common sense  works and knowing your own body.  Thanks I will let you know my hopefully no problem outcome

• Posted

Hi Sandra .  She has fibro so she gave me a strip.. I really didnt want to take these but my feet felt terrible and docs didnt do nothing.  I going to wean off now as i take one 800mg at night but hate the stomach pains and feel achy.  I realise now that this is a bad drug. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.