Can anyone please give me some advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello there, I really don't know where to start! I have got a 4cm cyst somewhere in my pancreas!!! I have had a CT scan with contrast, an MRI with contrast, an endoscopy and an ultrasound so far!! The CT stated it was in the head of my pancreas! But the ultrasound said it was in the body! The endoscopy followed that was non conclusive and most recently I have had a MRI with contrast! I went today to meet with the surgeons about the results. The guy comes in and starts drawing pictures of my insides and then says they can't decide what part of the pancreas it's in or even now it maybe in the duodenum!! So they no I have a 4cm cyst but can't tell me where??!! Also he told me that they weren't concerned about the results, but surely if they don't even no where it is how can they determine what kind of cyst it is!!?? He followed this all by saying all cysts can turn into cancer- but they're not worried??!! I have gallstones also but they not going to do anything about that either!!?? I suffer with pain regularly,

I can't understand how they have done soooo many tests and nothing conclusive has been found!? Is that right?

Thanks in advance! I am really rather worried now as I am also adopted with no family medical history so I have no idea what could be in store for me!!!

Jane xxx

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane. .I'd ring the secretary of the consultant tomorrow tell her the high level of anxiety you have been left in and insist on either a phone call from him or an urgent appt to discuss it further as that's not good enough.push and insist I say.sorry it's not answers but hopefully might give you some courage...I've found insisting and going nowhere and on works better then just waiting
  • Posted

I think I would find a different surgeon.  Or go to an endroconologist.  Do they not realize that stress can be very harmful to you.  Your surgeon sounds like an idiot.  I kept having diarrhea stools in and out of hospital with low potassium until I finally got someone to listen to me.  I too had a3 cm growth on the outside of pancreas.  I had surgery, mine was on the body.  Keep knocking until you find someone who will listen to you.
  • Posted

hi jane,

They certainly left you very confused. Go back and get definite answers. I had an ultra sound recently for cysts and was told that there are none.I have pain which comes and goes still. I thought that these tests were fairly accurate and could locate the cyst accurately. Also, I thought that cysts on the pancreas can cause pain and are often drained if they are a certain size. I do know that some cysts on the liver are nothing to worry about, or at least that's what the doc told me years ago, but I think that the pancreas is different. Like the other replies, it's best that you get further clarification from the docs. write down the questions you want answered and bring them with you, or maybe write them out and give them to the doctor and ask him to put in writing exactly what their plans are for your treatment. good luck and get well soon. 

• Posted

You definitely should have those gall stones removed. Pancreatitis is caused by gallstones so removing them should be a priority. 
  • Posted

Can you get a second opinion from another GI?  OK so they say that a cyst in the pancreas can lead to cancer, but what about the duodenum ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.