Can Anyone Put A Name On This?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had green light surgery on April 7.  Been having trouble peeing  at first it worked fine and then I couldn't.  Had to go to ER to be re-cathed.  I then made an appointment to see urologist.

But before I could see urologist i had to call 911 because i had a heart attack requiring a stent.  All during this time I carried the foley catheter.  All during heart attack time urine remained clear and light yellow.

Today is friday May 13 and i notice that urine has a reddish coloring.  I suspect bleeding but WHY?  I have had no pain or injury.  Could this be infection?

Tom

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Howdy Tom,    Sorry to hear that you are having so many challenges all at the same time.   Dang...  What doesn't kill us is suppose to make us stronger,  (so they say,).  Who are "they" anyways?  Haha.

I don't have a name I can put on what's going on with you, but it sounds like all the activity,    perhaps the bulb at the neck of the bladder is moving around and causing some irritation??   I know that last year after my Urolift, actually 1 week after I had to move my daughter from Calif. to Texas.   I did not do any of the lifting just drove the moving van 3 1/2 days and then flew home all the time with a foley cath. Like what you have.  And at one point I did see a little redness.   I sat on a donut the entire time driving.

The only thing I can say that may be of real value to you is ask your doctor to give you a 10 minute lesson on how to self cath yourself,  it sounds a little freaky and some may say "no way".   But they are a one time use,  they are very smooth and pre lubed, they are much smaller than the type the hospital put in,  they even make a small telescopic one that is very concealable and you can cath anytime you feel like it!   It's a very nice relief and after you do it the first time, your fears will go away.  The whole process takes about a minute or so.     Then no more rushes to the hospital,  I did that twice. The bills were 2000.00 each time and I had to pay 750.00. Of each.   I cath befor I go to bed, when I get up in the morning and can 100% monitor exactly how much I am not voiding.   Which my guess is that you are retaining as well.

Ask for the "Speedee #12".   They are the smallest and are smooth as silk!

Good luck Tom,   Hope all works out well for you!

• Posted

Tom,

As Anthony suggested, the catheter may be irritating some tissue in your bladder, resulting in the urine color. I had a Foley catheter in for 5 weeks after prostate radiation and my urine turned red after working out one day on an elliptical machine.The tube moves around a bit in your bladder. After a day, the bleeding went away, so no problems. If the urine color improves - good. If things get worse, you might check with your urologist, but most likely this is just temporary. 

Tissue swelling is common and expected after any form of heating/laser to the prostate, so the difficulty you are having with urine flow is not unexpected. It takes time for the swelling to go down and varies from patient to patient. Make sure that you keep the Foley tube clean and lubricated - I applied Neosporin to kill any bacteria and to keep the tube slippery, otherwise it can get crusty and irritating. 

You could self cath with a pre-lubricated catheter (hydrophilic) but there is a learning curve associated with that procedure. 

Tom

• Posted

Thank you to both Toms and Anthony from this Tom.  I forgot to mention that I have been on Plavix from May 3 and will be on it till June 1.

Plavix is a high power blood thinner that I have to take for a while so that the stent itself don't clog up.  It is so potent that the sleghtest screatch will bleed.

I am happy to report that since I first posted my urine is now a loght clear yellow.

Tom

• Posted

I got a stent 10 years ago - went on Plavix and broke out in a horrible head to toe rash. As Plavix is a powerful blood thinner it makes complete sense that you would find some blood in your urine. 

• Posted

Well there ya go then!   Case closed.

Ya may still want to look into being able to service yourself if you feel like you can't pee and know you are filling up with urine.

Its a simple process.   Up to you tho,   Have a great evening

• Posted

Do you still have the foley in? Infection is common with foley's so it could be the cause of the bleeding. In any event, best to check with your urologist. 

Jim

• Posted

Probably an infection. Either use anti-biotics such as Cipro or it should clear up by itself in about 3 days.
    • Posted

It did clear up on its own.  I have learned many things by having a heart attack around 3 weeks after green light laser procedure.

I was taken for emergency surgery for my heart.  Everything went well.  I was operated on at 5:30 PM on Monday the 2nd of May.  Usually you go home in 3, sometimes 4, days in successful stent surgery.  But in my case nothing goes according to plan. Over the night time of Tuesday night to Wednesday morning my kidneys went into TOTAL SHUTDOWN!  We knew this because the night time foley cath bag was BONE DRY after 8-10 hours.  On Wednesday there was a little urine and they took kidney test readings that were in the "end stage" zone.  On Thursday the readings were barely better.  They were on the fence as to letting me go home or not.  Finally they decided to let me go home with STRICT instructions to come back on Monday the 9th for re-testing of kidneys.  I did so and I also nagged the Lord 24/7!.  On Tuesday the 10th I went to medical records and got a copy of the test results.

100% PERFECT!   TOTAL RECOVERY!  ALL READINGS IN THE GREEN ZONE!  GOD DOES LISTEN!

I have since learned that ANY cardiac surgery carries a 30% possibility of renal failure and a lot of times they're not as lucky as I was.  More luck:

Today, I had the foley removed and so far it appears I'm peeing great.  The UT & bladder are still a little sore and peeing burns a bit but  I'm told that will pass.

So far it's been a mighty good week.

Tom    

• Posted

Since you had stent placement, I am sure cardiologist put you on anti platelet medication Clopidogrel (Plavix) and that caused bleeding. I do not think it should be infection when you do not have other accompaning symptoms of infection. I hope you bleeding less by now.

Take care

• Posted

Yes, I am on Plavix.  And yes, the bleeding in my urine lasted abiut 1 day but cleared itself up after 1 day on its own.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.