Can anyone reccomend an anti depressant and pain killer for Fibromyalgia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as well as IBS and Depression and Anxiety. I was on 30mg of citalopram that seemed to be working well for me but after I was diagnosed with FM I was prescribed Amitriptyline. However, my Doctor told me I could not take Amitriptyline and Citalopram at the same time and put me on Mirtazapine which, coupled with the amitriptyline, just knocks me out completely - I am practically comatose! I also don't feel that the Mirtazapine is helping my mood at all. If anything it is making it worse. Does anyone take amitriptyline and an anti depressant that isn't Mirtazapine and that works well??

For the pain I am on 150mg of Pregabalin and Paracetamol when I need it. Lately though I am in so much pain, especially with my legs at night and I don't think the Pregabalin is as affective anymore. Does anyone take anything different that they think works well?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi princessemh89

I have just been diagnosed with FM ten days ago. For the last six months have had bad burning pain in shoulders and upper arms. As this followed a period of serious stress it was thought that I should double the dose of dosulepin - I was then on a small maintenance dose. The pain became worse, so doctor decided to switch me to citalopram last Nov. So I am now on 20mg of Cit.

Blood tests showed the possibility of Rheumatoid Arthritis but the Rheumy has said it is FM. So last Wednesday I was put on 10mg of amitriptyline. It seems you can take both, I suppose dosage is the key.

I have yet to discover whether this will work.

Chris

• Posted

That's interesting. I had heard of people being on both but my Doctor seems determined not to have me on both. I was on 30mg of cit and 10mg of amitriptyline and he told me if I took both there was danger of palpitations and serotonin building up in the brain. Honestly it has irritated me because all of these new tablets are taking their toll and they aren't doing a whole lot for me.
  • Posted

Iam on Fluoxetine 2x20mg a day but it will go with what your doctor gives you . It took about 6/10 weeks for

me to feel benefit on these antidepressant .you just have to be patient to get correct ones that work for you .pain killers Iam on are Dypracet 30/500mg, (Dihydrocodein Tartare 30mg &Paracetamol 500mg) these work

For me the pain killers take the edge off things .i also take Cabapentin I take 9/300mg a day I hope this helps you or even to speak to your doctor about things

• Posted

Hi

I was diagnosed with FM nearly three weeks ago and am on 10mg Amitriptyline for the last 12 days. This has improved sleeping a little and means that I do not need painkillers until the morning.

But daytime is still quite painful together with tiredness. How long should I wait before asking if the dose should be increased?

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

• Posted

I used to be on Citalopram and but changed to Fluoxetine for the same reason. I find Fluoxetine works pretty well for me x
  • Posted

chris03641 ,

I don't think asking the doctor to up the dose of your amitriptyline will help you with pain during the day. As far as I am aware it is used for its "antidepressant" properties and the fact that it can help you sleep. Are you taking any pain killers or an anti-inflammatory? I was prescribed Gabapentin 3x 300mg daily and then Pregabalin 2x 150mg daily. But I am hearing positive things about Nefopam too. I also take paracetamol throughout the day. You need to speak to your doctor about pain relief because amitriptyline won't do anything for that. But Amitriptyline can be given as high as 250mg so you (like me) are on the lowest dose but the doctor will always put you on low dose to start off with anyway.

• Posted

Thanks to both of you. Useful info.

Amit is effective as a painkiller apparently when used in small doses, above 75mg a day it takes on anti-d properties. I'm also on Naproxen and co-dodamol. I cannot go too high with amit because I am on Citalopram also.

Chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.