Can anyone recommend an antidepressant based off my symptoms?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey there,

I understand that it's best to consult a physician for these issues, and I am going to in a few days. But he has a history of recommending my loved ones a prescription of Mirtazapine as a "cure all" for anxiety and depression symptoms, so I'd just like to hear any alternatives people can recommend based off experience.

For the past 8 months, I have been suffering from depression and anxiety symptoms. This includes a feeling of detachment and numbness to life and emotions, mood/energy slumps and a rather pessimistic outlook on life. My anxiety affects my life in terms of being anxious in social interactions, or simply being out in public. I also feel a constant compulsion to be "productive." This means pressuring myself to feel that I need to do everything around the house and that I can't relax and must always be studying or working. If I don't study or work, I feel rather anxious and depressed that I'm not doing the right thing. This leads me to believe that, coupled with the depression and anxiety, I may be experiencing obsessive compulsive symptoms.

I've worked hard with a therapist AND cognitive behaviour therapy to resolve these issues for 8 months but to no avail. As a result, I've decided it's time to try antidepressants.

Based off the symptoms I've described, can anyone recommend an antidepressant that may be worth looking into?

Look forward to hearing your responses!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

See a different doctor, some drs are just like that. Ask for meds if you want them, and a referral to Psychotherapy
  • Posted

Hello Isobutane

I can only tell you of my own experience.

About a year ago I had a low dose of Mirtazapine to help with a sleep problem. That was fine until I changed maker. within a week I had depression. I reverted to the first maker and in about one month all was again well. Then that maker stopped production and I stopped Mirtazapine.

About six months later I was in trouble will depression and went on a waiting list for therapy. Three month on I was in big trouble and therapy started in a hurry. The psychiatrist prescribed  Ventlafaxim Prolonged Release. That worked very well. The GP prescribed for the repeat prescription ordinary Ventlafaxine. In six hours after the first of the new pills the severe depression resumed. I was back on the Prolonged Release Ventlafaxine the next day and all was again well.

With my best wishes foran early discovery of effective treatment for you.

• Posted

Hey George,

I'll research what you recommended, thanks for your advice. Sorry to hear about all your woes regarding healthcare and makers, I didn't realise that makers could make such a difference!

Thanks for your advice, I hope all is going well for you and you're on the right track.

• Posted

I'm the same as you and I think it's to do with excess nervous energy. I'm on Setraline and apart from a horrible first few weeks I think I am getting better.

• Posted

I've been researching Setraline, glad to hear that things are getting better and even more glad to hear that there's someone with a similar set of issues. Hope it works out well for you. 

• Posted

So sorry to here about your difficulties. Eight months has past and with not so positive outcomes.

You need to see your doctor and maybe ask him  to find  you a psychiatrist.  I know there are some who specializes in just depression. Find one who does talk therapy. One who has very  good manners  and interpersonal skills.

More than likely he will prescribe an antidepressant or some other drugs they use to complement each other. You need to do this. If you want discuss tthings with him, I'm sure he will be more than willing. If you don't, do this, you could just continually go into a down word spiral or you could possably go into a remission, which will eventually be a goodf for sometime, but you could bottom out and live a life of hell and misery. 

Me, I would seek help as fast as you can, just so you can get on with a Life worth living.

Many prayers to you and getting on with life.

• Posted

I am on mirtazipine been on them for the last 4 and a half year I started off on 15mg and now currently on 30mg .I also was under a can and practiced mindfulness which teaches you to not think about the past to much ,worry about the future but to live in the present the moment and find that's it improves anxiety a great deal. There is also mindfulness meditation and you can download the app on your phone. I felt ridiculous when first trying it out having a negative attitude that this surely couldn't work but I was at a point that I desperately had to try anything and keep an open mind. It took practice but I am eventually starting to feel the benefits from it. Aye am just struggling with the feelings I get from depression at the moment. As I am unsure mirtazipine are as effective for this part of my illness but I'm not a professional I may need a higher dose.Thought I would give my imput on which parts of my disorder it helped with hope I've helped with a bit of my experience

• Posted

Your GP will have His avourites I am on Citalopram and Amytrptalene.

It all depends on the complete spectrum of your condition.

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.