Can anyone relate and give me suggestions, opinions?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So in July I will be one year post op after ankle surgery where I had a plate and 10 screws on one side along with two other screws. I can post an X-ray incase that will help any of you figure out if it's like your's. I've looked up the specific name for my break and dislocation however can not find it. I still have all of my hardware in except for 1 screw that was removed in November, the others will come out sometime after May 18th. However, until then I have so many issues with walking. I've went through physical therapy to get me to learn how to walk again due to my ankle not wanting to bend at all. And now that it's bending it hasn't ever done so all the way. I can't squat down because it won't bend enough, I can't stand on my "tippy toes". I walked 2 1/2 miles the other day and my ankle has since been having a popping feeling, constant pain, and refused to bend for the whole day after. Is any of this normal? I have no one else except you all to compare it to. Please help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can't really help but was hoping maybe you could help me. I have a metal plate on one side with 8 screws, two on the other side and 1 screw that will be removed in about 10 months give or take. What was the recovery like when you had your screw removed. Were you laid up like when you broke your ankle? 

Thanks for your help in advance

• Posted

When the one screw was removed, it wasn't near as bad as the surgery for my ankle. It was definitely a breeze in comparison.

• Posted

Hello. I am 15 months post op and still have my hardware in place and haven't yet made a decision as to its removal. My surgery was for a break st the bottom of my tibia and my fibula. Recovery has been slow and painful and I have not been able to return to full mobility and have similar difficulties as you. However, I don't know your age. I am 68 and I believe this hinders my full recovery. The issues are ever-changing and I have come to learn that they all improve yet something new will takes its place and become the next challenge. So, I feel that I have to accept the limitations of my injured ankle and get on with life as best as I can. I did find that using KT tape was very helpful in supporting my foot during difficult times. You can go online and see specific YouTube tuition to ensure you place the KT tape in the right place. It does offer enormous support at times when all other methods seem to fail. I did not find PT helpful long term and went with my gut instinct

I send my best wishes for your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you! I'm only 20, injury happened shortly after turning 19. I'll definitely look into it. My doctor has been no help at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.