Can anyone suggest any tablets for 4day menstrual migraines.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering from menstrual migraines for about 10 yrs on a monthly basis without fail, I am 44 and on Sertraline for depression and I have noticed the older I'm getting the worse I'm suffering it wipes me out for 3 days at time now where I can't get out of bed. I have spoken to my GP on several occasions but have never got any where. Oh and for the last two months I haven't bleed just a horrible brown discharge but still got the migraine. Can anyone suggest anything I am at breaking point now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen have you tried triptans I started on rizatriptan but when I went on to betablockers so I had to change to zoltatriptans, you put them on your tounge and they melt in your mouth worth asking the Dr about them. Good luck I hope they work for you keep me posted. X
  • Posted

Hi Karen

Have you tried any anti-inflammatory medicines during the attacks, such as naproxen ? This could be worth considering by the GP as there is some evidence for its use in menstrual migraine. Triptans have also been used and could be tried if anti-inflammatories fail.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

Hi Karen, in addition to the above suggestions think about progesterone - mine are twice monthly at progesterone dips in my cycle. You could try a progesterone only pill or natural progesterone cream - Wellsprings make one if you prefer to be able to regulate your intake. Also check where you are re menopause, I've just turned 48 and my migraines got decidedly worse in perimenopause. Soya supplements and starflower oil can help regulate your hormones.

Keep a full diary too, you never know it may be the chocolate I know I crave just before my period!

Helen

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I feel your pain! I get a 2 day migrain at ovulation and 4/5 day migrain during period. I did a year of ivf last year that's made my periods permanent hell. I don't have a solution but have found a way to manage them so I'm not in bed screaming anymore.

Buy buccasyem antisick, OTC or prescription from doctor, these are a lifesaver. So when the menstrual migraine dizzy illness and pain starts I take an antisick, followed by 800mg of ibuprofen, an hour later if still bad then do a sumatriptan. This should get you moving again, but it will as you know, keep coming back, so probably another antisick and ipbupprofen that night, then usually I need antisick and sumatriptan the following day. Thereafter the migrain I try to manage with OTC pills as if shouldn't be bedridden pain once sumatriptan killed most of it.

I'm also back on 80mg of propranolol a day which helps. Lots of tiger balm and eat regular and drink water, also I try not to drink wine or anything around my period or ovulation and try to keep chilled. It's very difficult though, my cycle is 24 days so I'm in hell every 12 days really, it's awful. Today I'm on day 4 of one and although I'm out of bed the pain is bursting and I feel sick.

Xx

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I had the same problem for years and tried everything I could find with very little luck.  Then I ran across some info on Vitex (also known as Chasteberry) while looking for something else.  It's an herb that evens out homonal levels and is very helpful for menstrual migraines and headaches.  I tried it and, holy cow, I can't believe how much difference it made.  I get less headaches and they are less severe. My period week, which used to be hell, is not that big a deal anymore.  Sometimes I don't get any headaches at all.  It's amazing.  I can't understand why I didn't find this stuff in all my desperate searches over the years, but I'm happy to have it now.  It's an inexpensive herb you can buy at any store that sells supplements, or you can get it online.  You take one or two a day and after about 6 weeks you notice a huge difference.  I wanted to share so other women don't spend their whole lives dealing with this kind of discomfort when there's something that can help.  Good luck to you!

Lynn

• Posted

Hi, Karen.

Sounds like you have hormonal imbalance and are probably in perimenopause.  I would ask your gyn about bio-identical progesterone supplementation. The migraines are due to the fluctuations in estrogen/progesterone. Also, if you want to get off the Sertraline, you could try 5-htp 100 mg 2x/day to start. It's a natural amino acid that also raises serotonin levels without the side effects. Also, I would change doctors if you're not getting any help. Hang in there. You will get thru this.

Been there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.