Can anyone tell me how they came to terms with their condition?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I nurse people in the later stages of various neurological conditions and acquired brain injury. I want to understand more about how people deal with and come to terms with their condition, how it affects your life and your relationships with others as your condition progresses. I can only imagine the difficulties you have faced and are still dealing with.

Deb

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi deb,  nice name lol lol  Good question..  Not so sure if have yet come to terms since I was a victim of a brutal attack..  woke up in ICU after being hooked up on life support for some time..  As a result, I experienced seizures (on 3000mg keppra & 200mg sodium valproate)  Lost my confidence to mingle amongst the public in fear of seizure activity.  Anxiety set in & followed by depression.  Entire world sunk & I was unable to fix it or find a magic cure that would give me back the life I had lost.  I was forced to quit work as I could no longer drive & informed that I needed to pass my licence in..  Life is grand

• Posted

Hi deb, yes it's a great name! Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear what happened to you. How long ago did it happen? Did you have support from family and friends? I can understand why you felt anxiety and depression and lost confidence. It was a life changing event which impacted on so many things. Are you still having seizures and not going out? 

Deb

• Posted

Only a few years back now deb.. Heard the screams from a girl screaming for help.. without thinking, ran to push the guy who was punching violently into her.  Apparently he continued kicking my head in even though I was unconscious.. Would I have changed my actions? no way.  How could anyone witness someone being murdered in front of them.. I do suffer with some intense headaches, always a reminder of that horrible night.. The 'self help' strategies to overcome the thoughts & with an aim to avoid the cycle of anxiety panic attacks followed by depression usually works if Im quick enough to deploy these strategies..  I have attempted suicide twice deb & airflown to hospital in serious condition.. omg, cant believe Im even bringing this out.  Not something Im proud of by any means.. Some days are tough & coping skills fail.. Socialy Im awkward with the fear of having a full blown seizure in public as I have done before.. I really have lost my identity deb, including all the things I so loved & enjoyed.. oh hell

• Posted

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. Getting to that low point is nothing you should feel ashamed of. I think you should be proud that you are the kind of person to go and help someone in that situation. Not many people would. You are stronger than you think. Do you have someone to support you when you go out?   

• Posted

Thanks deb for your kind words.. its easier for me to help other people if I can, but its harder to help myself when Im struggling..  My day started with a cheery surprise after receiving a phone call from Mental Health mission & will be visiting my home twice a week.. My psychologist put in a referral as she thought I needed the extra help, support & perhaps a rehabilitation plan where they can place me back into the work system under their guidance & supervision.. That phone call gave me back 'HOPE' deb.. I know & accept that I will be living with a mental illness for the rest of my life.  Meds will only prevent the severity of the lows & highs but I see that small hole of light & its awesome to say the least lol

• Posted

That's great! You can do it with the right help. Don't give up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.