can anyone tell me if BP meds can cause gout

Posted , 5 users are following.

i was on 10mg of amlodapin and got swollen feet.went to docs who put it down to 5mg and gave me something to bring down the swelling which it did but i was left with a sore ankle which is becoming unbearably painful and swollen doctor has given me antibiotics and thinks its celilites but there is no break in the skin i am now sitting here in the middle of night unable to go to bed as even the sheets cause me intense pain. could it be gout?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Having had mild gout a decade or so ago, the bit about the bedsheets is the sort of thing gout sufferers go through if they have it bad enough.

However, what it is also maybe is peripheral oedema. Which is a swelling of the ankles and feet. Your sore ankle has only come about since you were given something to reduce the swelling and that might be the cause of the pain.

Back to oedma, put peripheral oedema in Google and click on the Wiki page. In the second paragrapgh it says:

The condition is commonly associated with aging, but can be caused by many other conditions, including congestive heart failure, trauma, alcoholism, altitude sickness, pregnancy, hypertension, sickle cell anemia, or merely long periods of time sitting or standing without moving.[citation needed] Some medicines (e.g. amlodipine, pregabalin[1]) may also cause or worsen the condition.

• Posted

This is becoming a common occurance with modern medicine. Treat a single ailment with a drug and then prescribe more drugs to treat the side effects. Your doctor really should have taken you off the initial drug since it was not agreeable with your system.  Make sure you research every drug that you take and print out the list of side effects.  My mother was prescribed 3 or 4 different BP meds before she found one that she could tolerate.  Don't change your dose or stop abruptly without talking to your doctor.  But you should know that thousands of people end up in the emergency room every year because of BP med side effects.  Some don't go home.

I will send you some links where you cand find some good information.

Amlodipine side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to amlodipine: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

feeling like you might pass out;

swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet;

pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest; or

chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling.

Less serious amlodipine side effects may include:

headache;

dizziness, drowsiness;

tired feeling;

stomach pain; or

flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling).

• Posted

hi jonathon thanks for this i wonder why the doc still has me on amlodaplne? lm hoping i have not now got gout from the med
    • Posted

Some doctors have a problem with saving face.  Pride that they don't cause problems.  There could be financial incentive with prescribing certain drugs.  Each person has the right to say "I can not take that drug anymore it is making me sick".  Sometimes the cure is worse that the problem.  How healthy can a person be if they can not walk anymore, can not sleep, can not work? 
    • Posted

thankyou jonathon for your support .I have stopped amlodapine and the antibiotics have kicked in so i had a much better night although still difficult moving around.My doc retires next week which is probably a good thing i will go back and possibly see if i could try losarton as has been suggested by mrs o on this post as having the least side effects biggrin
    • Posted

That is a releif to hear.  Some medications can really benefit people and others should just be recalled.  I would like for you to try the eggplant juice.  You will be suprized at the results.  The only side effect is that it will lower Cholesterol also.  But, you will need to drink it daily to work.
    • Posted

I would just say that, eggplant is American for the English word aubergine. Which tends to indicate country of OP, just in case you are UK based.
    • Posted

I don't think you will find the juice in any store.  You will need to buy fresh eggplant, also called aubergine.  It is prepared by dicing it into small pieces and then boiling it in 1 quart of water for about 15 to 20 minutes until it can be turned into a mash. Stir vigorously.  Then boil for 5 more minutes.  Then strain the liquid into a container.  Store the container in the fridge.  When it cools, drink one cup per day.  So you will need two eggplant per week.  I would not try any other method as they have not been tested.  It may take 4 to 6 weeks before your numbers start to lower significantly.  You can keep doing  this while taking your new BP medication.  You should test your BP every day and keep a log.  Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Posted

Did you only get swollen feet on the Amlodapin? if  that is most probably a side effect and you need to talk to your doctor about changing the medication, BP medication can have some nasty side effects so don't suffer.

• Posted

the swollen feet on the 10mg .the really horrendous painfull ankle has come on since going back to 5mg am going back to docs this afternoon as i am unable to sleep or move around will let you know what happens
    • Posted

been to docs she feels its cellitus and to rest carry on with antibiotics and ring 111 over the weekend if symptoms get worse.Doc felt i did not need a blood test as "i was to young for it to be gout" im 59! not looking foward to the weekend oh and by the way am still on amlodapine .
    • Posted

Jeez, I had mild gout when I was just over 40.

The NHS website says men over 30 and women after the menopause.

Sounds like an olde fashioned doctor, she thinks you have to resemble Hnery VIII to have gout.

• Posted

nelly, ask your Dr to try you on a different drug.  Can't believe you're being left on Amlodipine when it is quite obviously causing the swollen feet and more than likely the cellulitis, too.  I was taken off Amlodipine when it caused really uncomfortable swollen ankles and a red blotchy rash around my lower legs which was diagnosed as varicose eczema.  The rash did improve when I came off Amlodipine but unfortunately other BP meds have aggravated it as it seems I am particularly sensitive to most of the pills.  The one pill that has the least side effects for me is Losartan Potassium and my pharmacist tells me that it is the one he hears the least complaints about by his patients.  Also, if symptoms get worse, if it were me I wouldn't bother ringing 111 as they've had some bad press recently - I would just go to A&E.
    • Posted

thankyou mrs o i have stopped amodapine. the antibiotics have started to kick in and i had a better night .I will take your advice and ask about losartan Its probably wrong to just stop but i will go back monday and ask for new drug.I was on losinopril for a few years which was gradually increased to 20mg as it was not bringing BP down enough and i had a continuous cough  Im begining to think i would be better off stopping everything and leaving it to fate
    • Posted

my doc retires end of next week thank god

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.