Can anyone tell me if I need surgery from my MRI write up?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi new here.

I understand it is hard to determine wether I will need surgery as it is a professionals opinion that matters, but I am just looking for a little bit of insight on wether my problem could possibly be healed through Pyhsio therapy and rehab, or if anyone thinks by the sound of it I most deffinetly will need surgery. 

any input will be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hard to say Broderick. You should make an appointment with your Doc to see what he/she says. I would have thought you would have been told by the surgeon if you need surgery. I had a torn rotator cuff and was told there and then it would need surgery to repair it and get the use back in that arm. Best wishes, Ellie UK
  • Posted

Nothing in the report would indicate surgery right away. PT first and if it doesn't get better then possibly surgery. All the injuries and other findings are minimal although painful. Surgery at this point might make a minimal problem worse with time. But it sounds like you will definitely have issues in the future if you do not watch how you treat it or abuse it.
  • Posted

It is impossible to advise you when you have not described what the MRI showed up.It would be best to see your orthopaedic surgeon

I have had a frozen shoulder for over four years and had to go through the thawing stage then due to making jewellery I tore a tendon which needed surgery.

• Posted

Hi!  Broderick, I have had repair and reverse shoulder replacement (one on each shoulder).  Durng all the years I had shoulder problems, I saw a number of orthopedic surgeons, and did a whole lot of research.  I've seen a lot of shoulder x-rays, CTs, and MRIs, all of which have been discussed in detail with doctors, and have been thoroughly researched by me.  I do not claim to be an expert.  But I have learned a lot.  

From just the report of your images NO ONE should be telling you anything definitive.  That includes any and all doctors who are worth anything.  A good orthopedic surgeon has to see the images, themselves, and you in person to have a valid opinion about what you should CONSIDER doing.  And you need at least two additional opinions.

That said, I believe that you should start your hunt for the best shoulder orthopedic surgeon you can find.  The injuries the report indicates seems the type that will not only not heal themselves, but will likely get worse, and other tissues will be damaged in their attempts to compensate for the already injured parts of your shoulder.  Arthoscopic surgery is what a repair is probably called where you live.  It can often make the difference between not ever needing to have a shoulder replacement, and needing a reverse shoulder replacement.  But no one can tell without expertise, and analyzing the actual images for him or herself, AND seeing you.  How you function and how your shoulder feels to the doctor are important, too.  Do whatever medical research you can yourself, Broderick.  It pays off.

Good Luck.

• Posted

Dear Info,

What good sound advice you have given. I am impressed. Broderick.take heed and do what info has suggested.Do your research and get more than one opinion then make your decisions based on the information you have.

Kathy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.