Can anyone tell me what this is?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm pretty desperate for some advice!

I'm a 24 year old female and have been having problems with my left ear. 10 days ago I was picking my son up from school and my ear started throbbing, it quickly got more painful and I went and had a bath to ease the pain.

That night and the following day I used a hot water bottle and had a few pops and had a clear liquid come out, the next day I woke up with a fullness in my ear, the feeling you get when you have water in your ear and it's like I can hear myself speaking in my head, I've had this feeling for 8 days now. I have a slight ringing but I don't really notice it until I'm laying in bed and it's quiet. It's driving me INSANE So much so that I seem to be constantly crying and not wanting to leave the house and with a 3 month old and 6 year old to look after it isn't fun!

I went to the doctors and was given a nasal spray and otomize to take, he said to take them for a week and if no improvement to come back. Today is the 5th day I've taken them and no improvement as of yet.. I have had a slightly sore throat throughout, I haven't really had any pain in the ear since the fullness started.

Can anyone give any guess to what this could be?

I just want to be able to hear properly again!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your Ear, and have every bit of empathy for you. The ringing in your ear is Tinnitus, and can be very annoying (I've had it for as long as I can remember) But luckily your symptoms do make me lean towards the side that this is temporary. The fluid can come from a build up in the Middle Ear caused by a blockage in the Eustachian Tube, this tube usually drains any fluid down to your throat. This would also explain the popping sound and clear fluid as a blockage/small infection causes pressure behind the Ear Drum. I would say that you may have a small infection as you mention a sore throat. The Otomize should tackle the inflamation and infection, but as you say it's been 5 Days with no change, you might want to see the Doctor again and he may suggest a course of Penicillin for 9-13 Days. Once the infection has gone, you should get back to normal. In the meantime, you could look online for some suggestions on how to unblock you Eustachian Tube. I hope you feel better soon, keep us posted. Al

• Posted

Hi thanks for your response!

I woke up this morning and it felt a little different more pressure and lots of popping when I swallowed so I decided to do the good trick of holding my nose and blowing gently although it hadn't worked when I tried it before today it popped and I would say my hearing is around 40% better (for now) felt like the world opened back up - it was amazing! Although it isn't back to normal and everyone sounds very robotic like still with tinnitus, I'm just so glad it's released some pressure and doesn't sound like I'm talking in my head so much anymore!

Really hoping this means it's on the road to clearing, not to sure wether it's the antibiotics that have helped it or not.

I will keep you updated.

• Posted

Hey, that sounds really promising smile Sometimes if you hear popping like your hearings turning off and on, its a good sign that it's clearing itself. I hope the Kids are not making too much noise wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.