Can anyone tell me what to do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It started 16months ago when I had gastritis, I was put on 40 mg go omeprazole for 6 weeks, I was a serious athlete at this time. After I stopped taking them I had the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I burnt so much I reached back for the pack. 2 months later I started to feel really unwell, I couldn't cycle, walk any distances, I had terrible abdominal pain and my stomach was so hyper sensitive I struggled to do anything, I went back to see Gastro consultant who said to try and come off, at this point I tried and suffered so went back on, by now my hair was falling out, I was in deep depression and on every pill know to man, I chose to stop them and started taking ranitidine 600mg, I burnt so badly for over 3 months but I was so desperate to come off I took the pain, this caused Chronic bloating, severe gastritis and a dependency for ant acids. I now have messenteric panniculitis, an elevated liver, iga is mildly raised, the bloating they saidwas ibs but I have no bowel changes, thus I am normal, this all happened because I came off PPI'S abruptly but I couldn't go another day with them, it has been 8 months and I am still bloated, can anyone help please? Also my calf and leg muscles are so tight and painful and the same problem in my left hand, I was so healthy before I took ant acids I just don't understand.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Mutley,

I'm very sorry to hear all about the pain and discomfort you're experiencing.

I've had Gastritis on and off since December 2013 and the only thing I can use to calm it down is a diet of vegetables, cabbage, broccoli and sprouts. I also take a probiotic which helps with the bloating. I take pro biotic in the morning on an empty stomach and one before I go to bed. This really helps.

I too was placed on PPI's and as a result became extremely depressed and despondent.

In fact I had never felt so bad in my life.

I stopped these and decided to look at the internet for suggestions in order to control the pain and burning sensation I was experiencing.

There is also an alternative called mastic gum which can be bought from Holland and Barrett or any health store. This has great effects to ease the burning and pain.

Also drink lots of water and try to cut out bread. This is a cause of bloating.

I'm afraid that's all I have in the way of my own experiences and wish you well.

• Posted

I'm 18 year old girl who has been dealing with gastro issues for at least a two years now. I recently got diagnosed with depression.. Which I take medicine for everyday. It is very hard to deal with considering I already have IBS, acid reflux, and gastritis. The past two months I have lost 10 pounds unexplainable. I have had bloody dark stool going on now for a month now.. I keep having severe abdominal pain come and go. I take bentyl for pain. I seem to be getting no where I want a solution.. It is really severe right now. My nausea is horrible, fatigue, severe abdominal pain, dark black bloody stool. Etc symptoms too. I am very afraid to tell anyone how much pain I'm in just because In the past going to the hospital it's always stressful to me and my family..it's effecting my school, and just about my everyday life, on top of that my depression does NOT help.. I'm in pain and just sleep constantly cause of anti-depressants and pain medicine. What should I do?
  • Posted

Hi,

I realise this is an old thread but I'll reply anyway, I too have gastritis, Atrophic Gastritis, and doctors wanted me to take Omeprazole so I tried it and had the same experience as you, terrible burning and stomach pains. It's been more than a year since this happened and I'm still on a vegetable and white meat/fish diet but the good news is things are getting better, the bloating is going down and I'm digesting better. The stomach can heal but it takes time.

• Posted

Kerry if your still on this site, can I ask how your getting on and if you are still healing? I do hope so. Did you stop taking ant acids and healed naturally or did you stay on PPI's. I am truly at the end of my tether. I lack discipline, doesn't help. My consultant wants to have a lapascopic view of my abdomen and pelvis. Don't relish the idea much. Its good to hear people are getting better.
    • Posted

Hi There,

Yes I'm still on my diet (no PPIs) and I'm healing (slowly) still impossible to eat as I ate before, but I feel well and that's the main thing, No pain and digestion is great, bloating is rare. The body will heal it just takes time. Occasionally I cheat and I'm in pain so it just isn't worth it. The problem is Xmas which is looming and I know it will be hard. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.