Can anyone try help identifying what's causing pain in my stomach?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Let me start off by explaining where this issue sort of started. About 3 years ago, I found myself eating less and less and then at a point had no appetite at all. I visited my doctor several times and tried many different things such as Proton-Pump Inhibitors (for acid). Nothing would work so I got a gastroscopy done and that was also normal. At some point I finally realized that I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I was put on Cipralex 20mg and started on Lorazepam .5mg and immediately regained my appetite. Over the next two years, I got addicted to Benzos and was taking anywhere from 3mg-10mg of either Clonazepam or Xanax (depending on the day) per day. At the beginning of this April I decided to quit benzos cold turkey as all my previous attempts at tapering failed.

I managed to quit Benzos entirely and have not taken any since. In terms of my anxiety, it has never been better *knock on wood*. Quitting benzos actually improved my anxiety to a point where it no longer interferes in my day to day life.

For the last month or so I have been dealing with a much worse issue. Every other week, I have extreme chronic pain in my stomach and lose my appetite entirely. I will wake up in the morning and not feel hungry at all although my stomach will be EMPTY as can be. After an hour or so, the pain begins. The only way I can describe it is as if I have gone without food for a week and my stomach is literally begging for food. However, I cannot even think about eating food. The only foods I am even able to eat are spicy foods. Spice is the only thing that somewhat triggers my appetite. IF I manage to get a decent sized meal in, the pain subsides for 30 mins to 1 hour and then I immediately feel bowel movements and s**t out what I ate. 5-10 mins after going to the washroom, the pain creeps back in. This goes on for about 4-5 days usually and then goes away on its own. The next week or so I'll be completely symptom free and then the following week it'll start again. It usually gets triggered if I wake up and don't manage to get food in within the first half hour, or if I eat at night and then stay up til 3-4am without having another meal.

The reason I gave the backstory on anxiety is because I know exactly how that feeling was (at the pit of my stomach) and this is not that feeling. The only thing that soothes my stomach is drinking ice cold milk or pop. That first sip of milk or pop I can feel it going down my esophagus and into my stomach. As soon as it enters my stomach I feel immediate relief that only lasts for about 10 seconds or so. I am also taking Dexilant 60mg to see if it might be acid but that doesn't help me much at all.

The pain is strictly isolated to the pit of my stomach. Sometimes it's right at the top of my stomach (where the esophagus meets the stomach) and other times it's at the bottom of my stomach (near the duodenum). I never feel the pain in my intestines or any other organ. Only the stomach. It feels like it's pumped with air and the air is expanding my stomach. Burping gives me some relief although that depends on the size of the burp and how much air I can let out.

I am getting quite desperate at this point and my doctors can't seem to figure out what is causing it. Although my anxiety has vastly improved (from a constant 7-9 to a 1-3), my doctor suggests that there could still be some underlying anxiety that could be causing it. However, I personally don't feel it's the anxiety this time.

If anyone has experienced similar symptoms or know what might be causing this, please help me out! I can't stand this pain. It physically HURTS and is not just some small time hunger pain.

Thank you for reading this!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Josh, I entered this website because of stomach pain and bloating.  However, I was on gabapentin and am assuming that it is caused by quitting this awful medication.  However, I have said this to others and I will suggest this to you.  You have been to a doctor, taken tests, etc. but the problem hasn't been solved.  If your insurance covers this, I would get an appointment with a practicing hospital such as the Mayo Clinic where several doctors will look at every detail of your disorder.  I don't know where you live; hopefully near a place like the Mayo clinic or somewhere that the place would be the same as the Mayo clinic.  It should be your mission to get the answer to this debilitating problem.  No way to live.  I have read many people's problems that they have posted but not as severe as to what you are experiencing.  good luck and keep us posted as to the outcome. garnella

• Posted

Omg... I forgot to mention that I was taking Gabapentin quite a bit when I quit the benzos cold Turkey and continued to use it until the last month or so when I've only been taking it every other day or two days... I've been researching gabapentin withdrawal for the last hour and I am somewhat relieved to know that this might just be what's causing all this! Any suggestions on how to get through withdrawal? I'm going to go buy some magnesium supplements as I heard that can ease the symptoms.

• Posted

Try Carom Seed (Ajwain). Boil a cup of water put 2 tea spoons of carom seeds in it and let it sit for 12 - 24 hours. Strain the seeds, add black salt and drink this regularly for at least a week and see if it helps you. You can boil right away and make a tea if you want but drink it when its completely cold, change the amount of seeds to your likening do not put too much seeds as you wont be able to drink it, start with smaller amount and adjust accordingly.
    • Posted

There are a lot of natural way to try and help things like this. I am sorry you are experiencing all of this. I like HumanBeing's suggestion and I have some others if you are interested I can send you the information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.