Can aphasia be due to my anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, I've been worrying about having a brain tumour loads and just as I thought I was getting better it's got worse. I can hardly stop crying now. I've been having trouble remembering words, I can't recall them. Could be nouns or verbs. It started when my anxiety about my brain tumour peaked. Is it all in my head? I'm terrified. I'm 15 and I don't want to go through that. I just want it all to end.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I thought the same thing and the same things started happening like what you just said. I went up taking myself to the ER and had a CT scan of my head done. I feel a lot better now knowing for a fact that I don't have one but the troubles speaking still happens from time to time. Have you talked to your doctor?
    • Posted

No, that's the thing which is weird about me. I obbsessively worry about illness but I would rather die than be diagnosed. I'm currently working with a counsellor but not much is happening.
    • Posted

I'm the same way. I rather not know and just die.. I don't want to know if I have something seriously wrong because I feel like I won't live my life after that and I'd be too scared but I am thankful I finally went. I stopped panicking, and now I know I have just general anxiety and not something horrible. I hope soon it helps you and you start feeling better
  • Posted

Hi Conor, it sounds to me like your anxiety is causing the problems with your word recall. And the more you get in a mess with your words,the more anxious you feel and it is probably just aggravating the problem!

I think you need to take a deep breath and try to calm your brain down. Can I ask what made you worry about a brain tumour in the first place? When I was your age (long time ago, I'm 40 now) I used to worry lots about every little thing, and every disease or slight ailment I heard of I immediatley began to think I might have it! I still occaisionally do that, but only when I'm very stressed out or don't have enough going on to distract me from my thoughts. And after all that worrying over the years (like oh I seem to be having lots of headaches...it must be a tumour) I am still here!!! Infact I just remembered...I took myself off to the doctor at 17 because I was convinced I had diabetes. I was in a complete state about it. But the tiredness, dry mouth and whatever else I included in my self-diagnosis, turned out to be down to anxiety about leaving school and having no clue what I was going to do with my life!

Maybe there are things in your life that are causing you anxiety but you aren't really consciously thinking about them.

Anyway, I hope that helps put your mind at ease a little. I'm sure you will be just fine!

• Posted

Thanks Mari! It would definitely make sense. It started because I got these weird sensations in my eye, which actuallywas them being dry from watching TV on my phone or long periods of time where it was very close to my face. I thought I had a lazy eye, turns out it was dry/tired eyes xD. It then went into hand tremors, deja vu, it started to turn into forgetfulness when my anxiety peaked which it has several times. It eventually went away. And then it'd come back when I was worrying. I think, it's a stress and anxiety thing for me as I also had lots of exams that I failed terribly in during my anxious state. When, I try looking for a word I pressure myself so much and it causes anxiety. It's all a massive cycle. Thankyou for your help, it makes sense, and t's nice to know I'm not the only one who worries about stuff like this c:
  • Posted

i hooe you have shared your concerns with your parents or counselor. I understand your scared of a diagnosis but that is highly unlikely it would be what you fear anyway. Nothing wrong with letting your doctor know and noting about your speech and memory...maybe its smarter to let your doctor know and allow the doctor to deciede if its concerning rather then being scared if the results. You could be relieved of this fear so easily by reaching iut to a medical professional.
    • Posted

My parents know and so do my counsellor. It's just I'm convinced they will tell me that something sinister is up. I can't keep letting it control me like this, but I'm scared. Terrified.
  • Posted

Hi conor , your anxiety is driving your condition its a visious circle, your reaction to your anxiety drives  the thoughts that are all in your head and the result is more anxiety, in realty you need to try to take some control by understanding its the irrational thoughts your reacting to try to take time out when these episode happen first of all its a mind game you know well by now, the thoughts you hate and react to and makes you feel and believe all crazy things, in reality which is not true right so if i was you i would learn to meditate and just think of taking control by doing something that gets you to think and control that diverts your attention to something currently at hand right , in times of stress or when your unable to do your thing dont push the thoughts away let them play in your mind but remember you arnt going to react to them as you know now its only a though and your not going to arm it with feeling/ emotions because thats what drives it  (Energy) you giving the thought energy when you react to it, another point i'd like to make is learn to rephraze the  imageing, the toxic thoughts that are bothering you in a cartoon scenario, like its donald duck telling you all this negativity  stuff ,give him a skeaky hi voice and say some ridiculous over size shoes , now how can anyone take this dude serious, there is quite a bit of info on this type of material internet google seach  Cheers Mick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.