Can atrophic gastritis be cured?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi! I'm 17 and I'm diagnosed with Chronic Atrophic Gastritis (H-pylori negative) which really, REALLY scares me. On top of that, I have Esophagitis Grade A and Hiatial Hernia. I've been to two gastro and I don't like how they only adressed the other two while leaving out my gastritis. I know they're professionals but this is making me anxious as atrophic is pretty serious. I felt I've lost all hope tbh. It's hard coping esp. when school's about to start. I just wanna know if it's treatable, or atleast can it be managed under control?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Most people see an improvement once gastritis is treated.  You will probably be given acid reducing medication to help your stomach to heal. Avoid acidic, fatty and spicy foods and eat little but often.
    • Posted

Hi! After my endoscopy I was given Protonix for 2 months, didn't work and went to another who gave me Prevacid for 2 weeks. It's day 4 now and I'm completely stressed, I feel like it'll f**k up my treatment process sad

• Posted

Is Prevacid helping? Try distraction techniques such as a hobby or light exercise like walking. I have chronic acid reflux and IBS and I can manage both with medication when required.  Both were stress related so I know neither will completely clear up.  I have accepted this and that has helped to reduce my symptoms.  
  • Posted

I've lost my glasses so excuse the spelling I cant see lol. Pheww at 17!!!  Ok dont panic, ppis will reduce the acid and heal you'er stage 1 Esophagitis.  Forget your HH, in the most parts many people have them but dont know they have one lol.  Yes CAG can be cured with the right combination of drugs. The HH MAYBE and I say again MAYBE allowing acid back up giving you Gerds but again dont panic.  After they've treated you for CAG you'll find that the pain in the center of your chest stops, you may require PPIs long term and thats looking on the bad side. I take pantoprazole daily and adjust my dose from 20 to 80 and have very little if any side effects. I have a 5 cm HH and had stage 1 Esophgitis plus other acid related issues and it took 1 year to sort it out.  At your age I bet this time next year all will be well but I also bet you'll be on PPIs for that 1 year.  You'll be ok and the worry will make things 10 times worse.  I started with probs at 30 and had years of no problems between times of flare ups.  Good luck and remember you'll be fine after treatment but also remember keep going back to the docs if the first set of treatment does not work and try an other combo. 

• Posted

I am concerned as well about CAG but my gastro says if you have that....it's permanent

• Posted

I am concerned as well about CAG but my gastro says if you have that....it's permanent

• Posted

I just got diagnosed with the same thing. Any update in your condition?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.